Kimberly L

Two Versions of Word on Computer

Is there a way to maintain two versions of Word on my computer?? I am still using Word 2000 and want to upgrade to Word and Excel 2007; however, I am still using Act2000 and I am not ready to upgrade that. I merge Fax cover sheets with ACT2000 and Word 2000. ACT2000 will not work with Work 2007. So how can I install Word 2007 without it overwriting Word 200 so I can maintain both on my computer??

Thanks,

Kim

Guest Jodith

I've tried installing both, and it would kill whichever one was installed first, regardless if installed in different directories. The problem is that Microsoft uses certain default directories in Windows to copy some files having to do with Office. My suspicion is that some of the dll files are named the same between the two versions, so one will always overwrite the other. That's my guess, anyway. Luckily, I have 2 computers, so I have 2003 on one computer and 2007 on the other.

The only thing I can think that might work is having two hard drives and installing dual operating systems, with one installed under each operating system. I haven't tried that, although I do have two operating systems installed. It was too easy just to install one copy on the other computer.

There is a way to do it. I took a 6 mo course in computers a few years back. I remember installing 2 different versions on my computer in class, I would just click on the version I wanted to use on my destop. Let me look in the computer books and my notes, I will get back to you.

Jerri Goranson, CVEM, Virtual Business Assistant

Virtual Office Visions

jgvov@comcast.net

www.virtualofficevisions.com

Not sure if this will work or not but you could just download the compatibility pack. I can open 2007 documents and also save them.

Patty Dost

Time Is Of The Es-Cents . . . Saving Your Business Time and Money ~~~ Virtually

Interested in Subcontracting with Virtual Assistants? Here's the ebook that will assist you.....The VAs VA

QUESTION :: What do VAs do when they've got big plans but don't know where to start?

ANSWER :: They download the VAnetworking Kick Start Package!

It's FREE :: It's FUN :: And you'll get something DONE :: Download yours now.

I have 2003 & 2007 on my desktop. I installed in a different directory. It's been a while since I did it, but I think it asked if I wanted to upgrade or just install it & I said just install. BUT, you cannot have 2 versions of Outlook - all other Office products will co-exist with multiple versions.

Guest Jodith

That's probably what happened with mine. It was Outlook that kept barfing when I had both 2003 and 2007 installed.

It is not only possible but I have done it. You just have to remember that when you install a new version, rather than accepting the default folder location (which will effectively overwrite any version you already have installed) you need to tell the new version a different file location. I have office 97 and 2003 on my computer, both under Program Files > Microsoft Office, but with 97 in the folder "Office" and 2003 in "2003". I switch back and forth depending on what I'm doing. Try it and good luck. :thumbup: