Should I put my cell number on my business card?

The topic title pretty much sums it up! I'm wondering how many of you out there put your cell number on your business cards.

I have a land-line solely for my business, and a cell number that I use as my "home" phone. I've heard tales of super-clingy clients calling their VAs at all hours and will most certainly heed the warning to establish boundaries and guidelines right away with all clients. I have no problem at all not answering either phone if it is after my official office hours or if I simply need to focus without interruption, so that's not really the issue. I want to be as available as possible for my clients, though, yet I'm hesitant to offer up my cell number as it is my only personal phone line.

Advice? Pros & cons? Sock it to me!

Thanks!

I'm kind the other way. The cell goes with me everywhere. Therefore, when I am mobile, clients have to use the cell anyway. If you prefer that your cell not be accessed, I wouldn't give that number out except to special people.

I also despise the voice mail for our landline. It is part of the bundle, so I use it, but I've been grouchy about it for YEARS. I much prefer everything about the cell. Right now, we use a landline for internet and maybe fax. Otherwise, I try to use the cell for as much as I can

I agree with Judy to an extent, I do not have my cell phone on my business cards, and I dont post it on my website or my phsyical address, just the business line and my PO box. Then after working with a client or taking a bid with a client, I would give them my cell. Sometimes even during working hours I dont want to feel or my clients to feel I can't be reached because there are times where I have ran errands or post office or office supplies. Me I am the type of person who stays attached to the phone or email just to make sure I didnt miss anything.

One thing you can do, like I have done after meeting a client and they seem like they may be potentially clingy you can forward your business phone to your cell phone. I have done that on several occasions that way you dont miss a beat. :):whistlin:

I'm kind the other way. The cell goes with me everywhere. Therefore, when I am mobile, clients have to use the cell anyway. If you prefer that your cell not be accessed, I wouldn't give that number out except to special people.

I also despise the voice mail for our landline. It is part of the bundle, so I use it, but I've been grouchy about it for YEARS. I much prefer everything about the cell. Right now, we use a landline for internet and maybe fax. Otherwise, I try to use the cell for as much as I can

Hi Marie,

Are the your niche of clients 'phone people'? Phone people are those who must 'talk' rather than email info and instructions. If so, give them the number they'll need to contact you on an average business day, during business hours.

I've found my clients are not really phone people. They do keep my email on FIRE with messages flying back and forth throughout the day/week. If you find your clients lean more towards email communication and you're concerned about missing a criticial email while running errands then have a phone with email service so you can check in.

~Ruth

My info is listed like this:

Dana Fortier, President

Legal VA & Virtual Business Manager

E: Dana@FortierVirtual.com

Phone: (248) 426-9974

Direct: (248) 996-4104

W: www.FortierVirtual.com

W: www.DanaFortierAssociates.com

~ Services ~

Legal & Executive Support - including Business Management ~ Support for

Speakers/Authors/Coaches ~ Association Management ~

Conference, Meeting & Event Planning & Management

I just ordered new cards, and I've been having a time going back & forth about what I wanted on them. I'm in the process of putting my various projects under one umbrella corporation (Dana Fortier & Associates) because "Fortier Virtual" doesn't encompass everything that I do and plan to offer from now on.

So, long story short: Yes, my cell number is on my card, but no one (my clients at least) know its my cell number. They figure it out, but that's okay.

I have my cell number on mine. I do have a land line that only rings in my office that I will put onto my cards however next time I must get them printed.

Another item people are putting on their business cards now is their Twitter ID ;)

Marie, it was my understanding that your cell phone is more of a personal phone number that you aren't sure about giving out on your business card or using with clients. Not so much for security, but because you value the personal aspect of that phone.

If mobility should become important, you might consider another cell. Perhaps a prepaid, lower cost instrument. This could be your business phone. For longer calls, you could make arrangements for the clients to use your land line or simply get enough minutes to cover potential needs.

As I wrote earlier, even though we have two landlines and a distinctive ring, I much prefer my cell phone with the hands free bluetooth head set. I carry it everywhere with me; to go get the mail, walk the dog, go to meetings, everything.

I went to my cell as my primary because I don't like to be tied to my office. I have unlimited calls, web access and texts for $59.99/month. That's a pretty good price - my land line is more than that - and its just one line! I'm seriously considering just doing away with it completely - I really can't see the point of having it any more.

I need the landline for the DSL. No cable where I am. I use it when I'm called support that has 800# anyway...still conserving my minutes although we don't come near using them.

Most of my kids have gone to different arrangements. One family keeps a landline that is only called by the telemarketers because of 911. They live in a small community enwrapped in a metropolis. Their cellphones call the metropolis for 911, confusing emergency people. The landline calls a much closer service. They use their cellphones and 'nearly naked cable' for their internet.

Another uses the landline for DSL, but arranged with the phone provider to get 'naked dsl' with no phone service. tey use their cell phones

Another is totally CELL with 'nearly naked cable' for internet

The fourth has landline for internet and phone, plus cells.

I don't put my cell number on my cards. When I was going to clients' offices a lot (years and years ago), I would transfer my business line to my cell phone while I was gone.

But I think it's all personal preference.

Jama

I actually have a google voice phone number. I currently have the number directed to my cell phone, but you can direct it to any number you want. It also has it's own voice mail and you can listen to your voice mail online as well. Oh, it's free too. So that may be an option for you if you don't want to give out your cell number.

Well yes, my cell phone is my ONLY phone - no land-line - so I've always used it as my "home phone".

I like the idea of not having it on my biz cards, but giving it to someone once they are my client. So, after all the good advice and input, I think that's exactly what I'll do. I always have the option to forward my office line to my cell if I decide not to give out my cell number at all.

Thanks for all your input and thanks for the info on the Google Voice thing as well, I'll definitely check that out!

<clipped>

Another item people are putting on their business cards now is their Twitter ID ;)

I actually have my Twitter ID, Facebook and Linkedin on my card. No address, just my email, website, and phone (which is my cell). Along with company name and my name of course LOL!

I do not have my cell number on my cards (or anywhere for that matter). My cell is my "personal" line. The only reason I even have a "land line" (which is currently really Vonage...so not really a land line) is for my business because until I get a cell signal repeater installed (on my never ending to-do list) I only get good cell service upstairs. I use cell primarily for personal and land line primarily for business. If I need to be able to be reached via cell, I just set my Vonage to ring to my cell and then no one has to have my cell number unless I give it to them or call them without blocking my caller ID.

I just had a conversation with a potential client about my cell number and he asked me why I use it primarily. For starters, its cheaper. Another reason, its pretty much always with me. Third - why not?

He pointed out that until all the emergency services have their GPS installed and current, its best to have a landline - that's usually the best way emergency services can find you if need be.

With kids - he does have a valid point.