Kimberly L

THESIS Wordpress Theme

I have a question about the Thesis Theme and since I cannot access their forums until after I purchase the theme or cannot find an email for the developer, I have to once again turn to you guys...

I want to convert a clients html site to wordpress and I am done w/trying to work with themes that come with no support. Thesis seems like a very user-friendly theme. Anyways...there is no immediate plans to write blog articles, so does anyone have an example of a Thesis theme being used strictly as an information website? I don't see any on the Thesis example page.

New to Wordpress and still trying to figure it all out :)

Thanks,

Kim

Kim, is this the sort of thing you are looking for? http://www.totorcd.org

This is a Thesis site from 'scratch' so I didn't have to deal with trying to move stuff. I love it because the client has taken a lot of responsibility for general maintenance, while I do serious changes or updates. They love it because they can add little stuff that keeps the information fresh.

I'm gradually moving my blogs all over to thesis and will be changing some to the sites as well. I did the developer's license. The forum there is very helpful and well worth the price. But, there are others which have been quite satisfactory to others here too.

JudyAnn,

This is exactly what I was looking for - an example of a website that uses a blog-type theme but still functions as a website ... thanks!! I think I am going to purchase the theme ... I am pleased with their pricing.

Kim

Thesis gives you some powerful SEO tools with control over the meta title and description. The "guts" are easy to work with, the forum is helpful and I have enjoyed the graphics control.

I was trying to switch over to THESIS (here's my test site) but I'm having troubles with the learning curve somewhat and put it on the back burner. Can't seem to wrap my head around the hooks and stuff. I've only heard good things about it so far however.

vainsiders.jpg

JudyAnn,

This is exactly what I was looking for - an example of a website that uses a blog-type theme but still functions as a website ... thanks!! I think I am going to purchase the theme ... I am pleased with their pricing.

Kim

Kim, if you purchase Thesis, I'd love you to purchase through our affiliates link at http://vanetworking.com/thesis

Our affiliate commissions help keep our forum free for over 12,500 members :)

vainsiders.jpg

Guest Melodee

Here's a site I created with Thesis: www.TishLaffertyCoaching.com

Then I discovered the Headway Theme and I've created a new company building websites using it. It's amazing!

Good luck :)

Melodee

I work with a designer who uses both Thesis and Headway. They are priced similarly and Headway seems to work very well. As I mentioned before, a lot depends upon what the designer and user wants. My client keeps both because she has design clients who want to work with them. Headway describes some excellent SEO tools. I know the Thesis tools work because of the way my material has shown up on the Google Reader or Alerts. I like the way the folks at Headway describe their support forums. I know I've asked some pretty elementary questions at the Thesis forums and been kindly answered.

Thesis is the 'child' of Chris Pearson, who incidentally offers FREE themes at Pearsonified. I've read the CopyBlogger for a couple years and now someone can use that theme. I use CutLine for one of the blogs I have set up. Sho-Me Your Wheels I think CutLine may be available at WordPress.com

The hooks make more sense when considered as positions. If you've been checking on Thesis,Kim, you probably are already connected to someone's affiliate link. I have one too, as do most enthusiasts.

Guest Melodee

Thanks, Tawnya :)

I started my new website business because my VA clients wanted more professional looking websites with the extra benefits gained from using a WordPress site.

Thanks everyone for your responses!!

@Tawnya Your test site looks great ... I do agree that Wordpress does have a learning curve. I have been learning HTML for over 10 years and now I have to totally rethink my processes :)

@Melodee This is a perfect example ... very simple, clean and easily able to add a blog feature later...

Kim

One of the things I really like about WordPress is the versatility. The website part has so much appeal because it is common sense and I think that WP, on many themes, if not all, will let us set up a 'page' that has posts, with other static pages. The 'comments' option can be removed from any 'page' so it looks like a page.

Something that others may know very well, but we 'fell into' was to add clients who want to work on their site as 'editors' and not admins. THEN, they can't see the parts that they could mess up (theme bits, settings, etc.) I really didn't like to have to tell a client "Keep your big fingers off these areas in the dashboard." A colleague set me up as an editor on a site instead of admin, then told me to change some things that I couldn't see! Schzam, we had our solution without adding plug-ins.

A colleague set me up as an editor on a site instead of admin, then told me to change some things that I couldn't see! Schzam, we had our solution without adding plug-ins.

Thanks for this tip!!!

Kim

JudyAnn,

Kim

Kim, if you purchase Thesis, I'd love you to purchase through our affiliates link at http://vanetworking.com/thesis

Our affiliate commissions help keep our forum free for over 12,500 members :)

Heads up to Thesis affiliates. They are changing over to Share-A-Sale. If you have an account at SAS, you can get the links, etc there. If not, you will need an account. Thesis is leaving the 60 day cookie window open for transactions and clicks to all get caught up and paid on the old system.

If you are thinking you would like to use a special affiliate such as VAnetworking.com, but have already clicked on another link, the cookies used to last only 60 days from what I've been reading. I have a question in at the support forums asking if this will still be the case. If this is so and a person wasn't in a drastic hurry...less hurry than desire to help a specific affiliate, wait out the cookie and be careful to click from the right place.

I know from checking my updated links this morning, the counter at SAS is 'smart' and knows when I am clicking.

I am absolutely in love with Thesis. My two of my three websites have been built using it and I have created about 8 or 9 websites and/or blogs using this theme. I find that when I have a question, I go straight to the forum and do a search. Bam, there's the answer. I always make sure I thank the people who answer me when I do post as I don't seem to have to wait too long for an answer.

I've just finished cutting over a HTML site created in dreamweaver (using templates) to thesis.

Old site

New site

Of all the premium themes I've used, Thesis has the best support.

Kylie Short

Tilda Virtual Services