accuassist

Share your grammatical pet peeves!

Happy New Year, everyone! :partysmiley:

Can you believe we're already three weeks into 2010? I have a feeling this is going to be another whirlwind of a year!

I thought it might be fun to discuss our pet peeves when it comes to grammar, spelling, and writing. What types of errors stand out to you like a sore thumb? Please share!

(Keep in mind that we don't want to embarrass anyone, so please don't post links to actual errors you've found on the web.)

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!

Angela

Items outside homes (e.g., signs, mailboxes, yard ornaments) that say (substitute last name of your choice):

The Brown's

The Brown's live here

The Brown's residence

Irritates the livin' daylights out of me.

Ramona

swapping 'winches' and 'wenches' makes for some interesting classified ads.

Hot water heater and other redundancy

Judy, you friggin' crack me up! I sat there for a minute or two making up ads in my mind with those two being swapped and I actaully giggle out loud! (I'm here at my J.O.B., but luckily they don't even blink an eye at random cackling coming from my cube.)

For me, it's "to" and "too" ... "your" and "you're" ... and "lose" when someone means "loose" and vice versa. Drives me nuts.

Judy - I used to work for an electrician and we dealt with water heater problems all the time. I thought I was the only one bothered by "hot water heater". lol

My pet peeves are quite general; when otherwise intelligent people send an email and their high school English grades show through. I have contact with two people who are "pillars of society", but when they write, consistently mix up "to, two, too", "their, there, they're" and all the other common grammatical errors.

A favorite quote of mine: "How can you fail English class? You speak it!

Mine is actually a little different. - When someone writes ME asking for sub work and they feel the need to point out errors in my work. It does not start the coversation off on the right note.

Karen

Mine is spoken: My mom, who was a a very educated woman would say, "I'm gonna warsh those [enter name of clothing or linen]" Or - "George Warshington was the first President"

Used to irritate the living daylights out of me! I would aks her all the time, "How do you spell that?" So she would, and I'd say, "Where is the R that you insist on pronouncing in there?!!?"

Now, there's a kid my son plays with, and he'll say something like, "Hers is riding her bike" or 'What's him doing?" and I try not to correct him, but the funny thing is - my 5 year old son DOES correct him! And I figured out - his mom talks to them (her 2 kids) that way - her version of baby-talking - and that's why he talks like that.

And my sister-in-law will mix up her infinitives all the time, and I bite my tongue, but again - last weekend, Jack (my son) correted her!

Mine's one local to our area I think and it's spoken not written...

Let me AXE you a question

Yes, the word ask gets turned into an axe - it was even more poignant coming from the school board superintendent!! Every time he wanted to say something about asking a question or I will ask them - he axed them every time! Others in that area do the same thing and it may have been a french-english issue but no matter it is annoying!

I axe you can anything be more annoying.

PS I am not certain about anyone else but I was very paranoid writing this response - proofread it 50 times!!! I'm sure I still messed up something!

Yes, the word ask gets turned into an axe - it was even more poignant coming from the school board superintendent!! Every time he wanted to say something about asking a question or I will ask them - he axed them every time! Others in that area do the same thing and it may have been a french-english issue but no matter it is annoying!

PS I am not certain about anyone else but I was very paranoid writing this response - proofread it 50 times!!! I'm sure I still messed up something!

YES! They don't use it in our area that I hear, but it reminds me of 'goes'. When my kids were in school, the conversation for repeating dialog was "He goes "That's blue.", she goes, "dark blue." on and on. My kids knew where NOT to use it and even their friends were subject to "Where did he go?" or whatever was applicable, which derailed the conversation. Not kind to young speakers as I look back. They should be encouraged to talk.

Oh, and there's this Okie-ism that nearly drove me nuts: "I'm fixin' to go..." (is there a recipe involved?)

And the Michiganders don't know how to pronounce lilac and barette. They pronounce them lyLOCK and BAHReht instead of Lie-LACK and Bah-RET. 15 years and I still find myself correcting my in-laws. Oh - and "pregnant for" instead of "pregnant with". To me, pregnant for sounds like they're surrogating.

We get that here - but its AKSIS, like, "Let me aksis you a question"

Happy New Year, everyone! :partysmiley:

Can you believe we're already three weeks into 2010? I have a feeling this is going to be another whirlwind of a year!

I thought it might be fun to discuss our pet peeves when it comes to grammar, spelling, and writing. What types of errors stand out to you like a sore thumb? Please share!

(Keep in mind that we don't want to embarrass anyone, so please don't post links to actual errors you've found on the web.)

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!

Angela

Thanks for the therapy, Angela!!