accuassist

Share your grammatical pet peeves!

My pet peeve is similar to Ramona's--adding an apostrophe to initials to form a plural (MD's, VA's, DJ's). Using double quotation marks instead of an apostrophe is also incorrect.

Here is an easy way to remember: use an APOstrophe to signal APO--A Possession Of someone or something.

Debbie Lynn

Oh, and there's this Okie-ism that nearly drove me nuts: "I'm fixin' to go..." (is there a recipe involved?)

And the Michiganders don't know how to pronounce lilac and barette. They pronounce them lyLOCK and BAHReht instead of Lie-LACK and Bah-RET. 15 years and I still find myself correcting my in-laws. Oh - and "pregnant for" instead of "pregnant with". To me, pregnant for sounds like they're surrogating.

I'm with you on the Michiganders that don't know how to pronounce lilac and barette! (I'm from Michigan too) and it drives me bonkers! In one of your other posts you said your mom would say warsh - my mom does this too and I can NOT stand it! lol

Mine are the basic:

to, too, two

their, they're, there

effect, affect (although I struggle with this one all the time myself too so I guess I shouldn't complain about other people messing it up lol)

Tishia

Just recently stumbled upon:

'[X] is attempting to eat man this is hard with braces . . '

Hehehe, I think we should assume that my good friend is not eating a man :o Just goes to show just how important a comma (and it's placement) can be.

Okay I just laughed so hard my stomach actually hurts!! :) I have a friend who says sodie for when she wants a Pepsi, Coke, or any type of pop. It has become like nails on a chalk board to me. I am also one of those who get bonkered out when I see someone not know the difference between to, two, or too, I mean it really isn't that difficult is it?? :blink:

Awesome posts!!!

Hehehe, I think we should assume that my good friend is not eating a man :o Just goes to show just how important a comma (and it's placement) can be.

Okay I just laughed so hard my stomach actually hurts!! :) I have a friend who says sodie for when she wants a Pepsi, Coke, or any type of pop. It has become like nails on a chalk board to me. I am also one of those who get bonkered out when I see someone not know the difference between to, two, or too, I mean it really isn't that difficult is it?? :blink:

Awesome posts!!!

hehehe....I'm bad for asking for a white pop (white being 7-up, sprite, mountain dew or gingerale)

Awesome posts!!!

hehehe....I'm bad for asking for a white pop (white being 7-up, sprite, mountain dew or gingerale)

A white pop I can live with as a matter of fact that is how my kids used to ask for Sprite or 7up, I think it was because that was how it was described to them the difference between the dark one and the one that is clear/white.

OK, Ladies, lay off the LiLock people.

I live in New Hampshire, where the purple lilac is the state flower. I'm not a native, and I thought I was hearing things when the LOCK came out of the closet (or "a" with an umlaut). Well, turns out that is indeed an acceptable pronunciation. Who knew??!!

Here's another one: I'm from a state that's classed as "southern." If you want to start the second American Civil War, just say "pecan" the "wrong" way. See how long you live.

Regional differences make the world a fascinating place. And this thread proves it.

Ramona

The former Mayor of Detroit was back in Detroit last week for hearings on his failure to pay restitution to the City and a reporter was trying to get a comment from him, and this former Mayor turned to the reporter and said: "Let me aksis you a queshun...."

This is an educated man (supposedly). Has a law degree and a Masters, and THIS is how he speaks? AND (this is what I find funny) - he was MAYOR of Detroit for almost 8 years???!

I'm so glad we're rid of him, and to those of you in Dallas, TX (where he and his wife have run to) - I'm so very, very sorry you've inherited him.

What a great thread!

A couple that drive me crackers:

Using insure instead of ensure -- Even our school Superintendent writes memos along the lines of "use this form to insure maximum participation." What, is he taking out an insurance policy on this form? It should be "ensure."

Using quote instead of quotation -- I'm constantly hearing that "my favorite quote about such and such is ..." and I just grit my teeth. Quote is a verb!!

There, I feel better already. My clients will be so happy I've gotten my ranting out of my system for the day :)

Deb

My biggest pet peeve is taking on a new client who THINKS they can write; they want to spend their money on printing ebooks or hardback books - but you have to convince them it is not ready for production because it needs to be reworked to meet industry standards. Then they are amazed when you tell them what you will charge for a rewrite to correct all those grammatical errors. My favorite pet peeve is when they write in a passive voice...which is MOST of their copy, again- calling for a rewrite...I'm just saying... :whistlin: