niccole

Quicken or Quickbooks?

I am in the beginning stages of my new business and one of my new clients is asking me whether or not she should switch from Quicken to Quickbooks for her business. I have read many forums stating that Quickbooks is much easier to work with. Does anyone have an opinion? Also, she is about a year behind in her data entries so one of the jobs I am doing for her is inputting the information. If she decides to switch from Quicken to Quickbooks, would it be easier to make the switch before spending time on all of the entries? Thank you.

My opinion is that Quicken is used for PERSONAL reasons and Quickbooks is for BUSINESS.

Unless they have changed things, you cannot create invoices in Quicken.

You might want to reach out to Candy Beauchamp as she is one of our industries leading bookkeeping experts. She might be able to give you a better idea of which way to go.

one of my new clients is asking me whether or not she should switch from Quicken to Quickbooks for her business.

Niccole, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend QuickBooks over Quicken for business accounting. It is designed for that purpose and can generate all the forms (Invoices, Statements) and reports (Profit & Loss, Bank Recs, A/R Agings) that she'll need. I would further recommend, though, that she find a local QB 101 class to make sure she's starting out on the right foot and making the best use of all the features that QB has to offer. Her local SBDC (SBA Small Business Development Center) or Chamber of Commerce should offer classes that would be more than worth her time and money.

HTH!

Deb

Hi Nicole,

What Deb said... I would further suggest that she get someone qualified (like a bookkeeper) to set up the books and do the first few months of entries - at the very least. If you aren't familiar with QuickBooks, you'll need to take a class, I think. I am sure people see it as "just data entry", but it's much more than that. If done correctly, you will get good useful information from QB. If done badly, well... not so much.

Yes Candy I must say I do agree with you. Once you have completed a course; learnt the software via other means and actually used the software for a while then you will have more confidence and more than likely provide a much better service. Over here in Australia the laws have recently changed requiring certain levels of skills before being able to 'trade' as a bookkeeper. It is nice to know that the authorities will be keeping a check on this industry and helping others develop bookkeeping skills 'correctly' because bookkeeping as Candy suggests correctly is much more than data entry.

HTH

:thumbup:

Michele