niccole

Questions about Quickbooks functions

Hi,

I don't have much experience with Quickbooks and one of my clients just switched, so I need some help.

1. She converted her accounts from Quicken to Quickbooks and on one of them, it stopped in October and didn't convert Nov or Dec. All the other accounts converted the whole year. What could have caused the missing months?

2. When I go to her account list to make some inactive, I am going one by one and clicking them individually to make the change. I tried to "grab" more than one at a time by using ctrl or shift, but it doesn't work. Is there a way to "grab" multiple items from a list?

3. Is there a way to set up two different charts of accounts, one for business and one for personal? She has everything in one and it makes the list so long. I would really like to separate the accounts.

4. Is there a need to separate by 'class' vs 'file'?

Thanks so much.

1. No idea. I refuse to convert. I would have ended her accounting at 12/31/09 and started fresh in QB at 1/1/10. Conversion is always messy with Quicken/Quickbooks.

2. No, you have to do it one by one.

3. You really should have different files for different companies. Having said that, you cannot set up a separate COA. I would set your preferences to force a "class" and use business and personal "classes". Then the balance sheet will be off too. Talk to her tax preparer - the problem you are going to run into is if she needs internal financials for a bank or something. Make it easier on yourself - just open a separate QB file for personal and make sure she keeps her money separate. (yes, I know).

4. Yes, see above.

I agree on all points, Candy. I was using Quicken for personal stuff way back when I wasn't running a business and was tired of using two different programs. I converted the personal file to Quickbooks and am sorry I did it. Very messy

The classes option is definitely necessary in this case because - "you can't mix business with pleasure, (personal)". Always make sure and customize the reports for the business to exclude the personal stuff to see an accurate picture of the business.