Mentoring Program

Whew! January was a whirlwind and I think I only had about 3 opportunities to even check the forum during the month. Really missed ya! I just wanted to take a minute and brag. I have picked up a few clients here and there so things were looking up but I needed something a little extra. Since I love helping people with their day-to-day dilemmas and I survived the initial struggle of setting up my business, I decided to try my hand at mentoring new virtual assistants. My kids told me I would be good at this because I always have "suggestions" for them how to make their life easier (well, this may not have been exactly how they worded it but I am sure they meant it this way) :whistlin:. Anyway, so I decided to try advertising this on Twitter around mid December. Wow, within a week or so, already had January's slots filled with a waiting list for February. I have found out that I really enjoy this. There are so so so many mentoring programs out there that I knew I had to find a way to approach it different. So I offer a free 30 day email mentoring program for new virtual assistants. Every one is so strapped for money during this phase of their business that a little helping hand goes a long way. The feedback I am getting from my first full month of offering help has been wonderful. The difference I decided to go with is concentrating on the day to day tasks. The little things like "hey my neighbor said his business needs this done and how do I write up the quote," or "how can I rearrange my Excel spreadsheet to show this," or even "can you look over my website and see if I left anything out." The little tasks that seem to stop everybody from progressing to the next needed task. I had one mentoring client from the Philippines. I didn't know how this would work at first but this went really well. She listed all of her feedback she was getting from her clients and wanted suggestions on improving them. So we took each one and found solutions that worked for her. I limit my mentoring slots so it doesn't interfere with time used for my paying clients.

So excited about this new venture. Now I just have to figure out what to offer these VA's after the free mentoring month is over. The free stuff is very satisfying for me to do since I know what it was like to watch every $5 that came and went during that time (still do) but it sure doesn't help me pay my bills. I always seem to excel with niche areas that are strapped for money (mentoring for new VA's or my niche client of small/rural/mom-pop/family-owned businesses).

Anyway, just wanted to brag a little and remind everyone of what you can accomplish if you stretch a little out of your comfort zone to offer a new service.

Thanks!!

Deneen, you ROCK! :thumbup:

I'm so proud of you and so happy for you that the mentoring program has been a success. When you told those of us in your little circle of VA buddies that you were setting out on this new venture, I just KNEW you'd be a successful mentor. You've helped me out in so many way with so many wonderful resources and pieces of advice - it's like you were meant to mentor! I wish you the very best of luck in turning this amazing talent of yours into a lucrative part of your business. You go girl! :yay:

P.S. ... any of you who have not yet checked out Deneen's newsletter, the Typing Bug Gazette, you really should - you'll want to subscribe, I guarantee it! :thumbup:

Deneen,

I just have to say that I think it's AWESOME what you're doing. It is amazing how valuable the advice and input from someone who has tread a path before us can be. I am reminded of a quote I love by billionaire, Richard DeVos:

"Few things in the world are more powerful than a positive push."

Great to see you "paying it forward". I know you and your business will be blessed by it.

One more thing, just had a chance to read your newsletter and I love it. I'm already looking into one of the free productivity programs you recommended on your blog. Thank you!

(Thanks, also, to Marie for giving us all the "heads up" on the newsletter. Marie, you are always full of such good advice and info!)

Yes, Marie is a saint in my book. When I am down or frustrated or just can't get that final push of motivation, I turn to Marie who ALWAYS makes me feel good and motivates me to jump back in the game. Just as she has with my newsletter. I kept it up pretty regularly when I first started and the life got in the way and I kept trying to change the program to do my newsletter and finally just got fed up and put it on the back burner. A few weeks ago, I made a list of things I needed to get back to doing and my newsletter was on top of the list. As Marie will tell you, I absolutely love finding free web-based software to make life easier and I am constantly emailing out to my "VA Buddies" networking group anything and everything I find. I am a firm believer of not reinventing the wheel. I am lazy by nature so I am always on the look out for things that make my life easier. What is it they say ... laziness is the key to inventions (that probably isn't it but it should be written that way ;)).

Thanks everyone!

Aww, thanks for the love, ladies! :grouphug: Seriously, you made my day!

And Deneen, YOU have been a motivator for ME as well! I love when I get your emails - there is ALWAYS something fun, useful, or otherwise awesome, so keep them coming!

Have a fabulous day, my wonderful VA buddies!

Deneen, you've come such a long way in a short time. And I understand the grand feeling you get helping new VAs...that is why I do it, for the warm fuzzy feeling it gives me inside to help out.

I actually am looking for another VAintern to join my team and here is info if anyone is interested or please spread the word:

We have an opening for a VAintern to train under Tawnya Sutherland, Founder of VAnetworking.com. Gain the work experience you need to promote your portfolio to new clients from one of the hottest networks online, VAnetworking.com

Looking for proactive, creative, talented, reliable, loyal, go-getters who are excited to learn and gain work experience through a VA industry leader. If you need to be micro-managed, please do not apply. Compensation will be provided in non-monetary formats such as coaching, advertising, product, etc. dependent upon the individuals needs and desires.

Please answer the following questions:

1. How long have you been in business?

2. What software are you fluent in?

3. What skills do you have and which ones do you love doing most? ie) wordpress, 1shoppingcart, desktop publishing, etc.

4. Do you have a niche you'd like to focus on in the future?

5. How many hours you can commit to per month?

6. Where do you see yourself in business 1 year from now and then in 5 years from now?

7. In 100-150 words please state why you want to work as a VAintern under Tawnya Sutherland.

Please send all applications to Tawnya Sutherland with SUBJECT LINE: VAintern Opportunity

vainsiders.jpg
Get your first month for $7 using coupon code: TRYFOR7

Thanks everyone for the positive enforcement of my mentoring program. It is always nice to have that affirmation that I am on the right track.

p.s. I have posted the latest edition of The Typing Bug Gazette on my website. Check it out! (www.typingbug.com/gazette.html)

But you know even though January was a busy month, you still managed to share great information, like you do with a group of VA friends, I look forward to your emails as well as your newsletter, I think it is great what you are doing with your mentoring program, but you are right it doesnt pay the bills, I will help you in anything you need in your venture in mentoring just as you have helped me in the last few months in anyway I can.

Sharing information and helping each other is a way that we can all gain recognition and the satisfaction of helping others with out anything in return, works to some point but sharing that recognition that can achieve your business success doesnt just help your business but helps all of us in the industry.

You Deneen are true, helpful VA with a great heart. Thanks so much for your inspiration as you have been to many of us.

Whew! January was a whirlwind and I think I only had about 3 opportunities to even check the forum during the month. Really missed ya! I just wanted to take a minute and brag. I have picked up a few clients here and there so things were looking up but I needed something a little extra. Since I love helping people with their day-to-day dilemmas and I survived the initial struggle of setting up my business, I decided to try my hand at mentoring new virtual assistants. My kids told me I would be good at this because I always have "suggestions" for them how to make their life easier (well, this may not have been exactly how they worded it but I am sure they meant it this way) :whistlin:. Anyway, so I decided to try advertising this on Twitter around mid December. Wow, within a week or so, already had January's slots filled with a waiting list for February. I have found out that I really enjoy this. There are so so so many mentoring programs out there that I knew I had to find a way to approach it different. So I offer a free 30 day email mentoring program for new virtual assistants. Every one is so strapped for money during this phase of their business that a little helping hand goes a long way. The feedback I am getting from my first full month of offering help has been wonderful. The difference I decided to go with is concentrating on the day to day tasks. The little things like "hey my neighbor said his business needs this done and how do I write up the quote," or "how can I rearrange my Excel spreadsheet to show this," or even "can you look over my website and see if I left anything out." The little tasks that seem to stop everybody from progressing to the next needed task. I had one mentoring client from the Philippines. I didn't know how this would work at first but this went really well. She listed all of her feedback she was getting from her clients and wanted suggestions on improving them. So we took each one and found solutions that worked for her. I limit my mentoring slots so it doesn't interfere with time used for my paying clients.

So excited about this new venture. Now I just have to figure out what to offer these VA's after the free mentoring month is over. The free stuff is very satisfying for me to do since I know what it was like to watch every $5 that came and went during that time (still do) but it sure doesn't help me pay my bills. I always seem to excel with niche areas that are strapped for money (mentoring for new VA's or my niche client of small/rural/mom-pop/family-owned businesses).

Anyway, just wanted to brag a little and remind everyone of what you can accomplish if you stretch a little out of your comfort zone to offer a new service.

Thanks!!