MeJo

Overwhelmed

I am having a blast with planning my business. :yay: I have done countless hours of research, and there is soo much information!

So how do you ever find all the great stuff, that makes life easier? You know the stuff that isn't a waste of time, and money...

I figure you all have your favorite software, hardware, other companies (ie. Vistaprint), phone options, fax options... whatever eles; the list is too long :D

So lets hear it... What stuff do you love? :lightbulb:

Hey MeJo - You ask a great question that I think every VA is asking. Unfortunately, with the rapid changing in technology and new tools being introduced everyday, I believe this question will never be answered in its entirety. All you can do is find what works best for you and keep looking for ways to improve, save time and save money.

Hi MeJo,

I know how you feel. When I started out on this adventure last August, I was right THERE! :D Here is a link to a thread where I posted some of my favorite software that I use every day, and a site that gives away good, legit software every day, with links (the software I mention, all free).

Around the office, I use:

MS Office Ultimate (I bought the entire package via MS's yearly "Ultimate Steal" deal for students. If you are enrolled in at least 0.5 units at any accredited college - community colleges included - you can get it for $60. Do a Google search for 'microsoft office ultimate steal' and you'll find it.)

Quickbook Pro 2010

Express Scribe - digital transcription, and I use a USB pedal, the software is free and I bought a nearly new pedal on eBay for $35

Dropbox - free online file storage and sharing. It is cross-platform, you just install your dropbox on as many computers as you like (it's password protected), and you treat it like any other folder on your computer. The beauty if it is that you can work on a project, save it to your dropbox, and then pick it up on any other computer where your dropbox is installed. Great for sharing files with clients. With the free account you get 2G of storage. Here is the link: Dropbox. It's awesome!

Mozy - Online back-up service. Unlimited back-up for ony $4.95/month (yes, UNLIMITED!), you can schedule back-ups, select exactly what you want backed up & when, and then leave it. Auto-back-ups as often as you wish! It works with external drives, laptops, desktops. Link: Mozy.com.

PDF - I use CutePDF to create .pdf files from just about anything. If you can print it, you can create a .pdf with CutePDF. Here's the link: CutePDF. You install, and install the conversion software (both FREE) and then if you want to .pdf a document, act like you're going to print, select CutePDF as your printer and you're on your way! If you want a free way to merge .pdf files, try MergePDF. Its a free online merger - upload your individual .pdf files and it combines them, you download them, VOILA!

Twitter - To keep up with Twitter, and schedule tweets as far in advance as you'd like, try Hootsuite. It rocks! They even have a fab little app that you keep in your toolbar on your browser (I use Firefox, but I think they have it for IE, too), and when you're at a site or page that you wanna tweet, you click the link & it opens a window where the link is already shortened, you just enter your comment & click. Good stuff!

For business cards, I use Next Day Flyers. I was able to get 1000 business cards, full-color, back & front (matte) with 3-day shipping for about $32. I know, super cheap! Shipping was $11 for 3-day FedEx, but they're in So Cal and so am I, so shipping costs will vary depending on where you reside. Still, the quality was VERY good and the price was too good to pass up.

I have my phone through my cable company, and it's just a basic, bare-bones line. I have a toll free number service that forwards to my local line, through Kall8.com. It's free to activate and only $2.16 per month. Super cheap!

I have an e-fax account with RingCentral. Very reasonable pricing and very reliable.

Hope all this helps! Best of luck to you in your new venture!

Hi Ladies,

Thank you so much for your input!

Tawnya, a special thanks to you for always having the answers to ease my mind! Hopfully someday I will be able to afford to pay you back for that ;)

Hi there you are where many of us have been, that was until I joined here, Just by reading Tawnyas posts and being a vainsider, the way you can pay Tawnya back in my opinion, is give your business your heart and succeed from the information she has given us available to be able to grow our business. I believe she would say that your success is her payback, which is why she started a place like this, so the overwhelming goes away and you know right where to go to get the help you need. She was there right where you are. We can all succeed in helping each other and taking the overwhelming experience and working together. :thumbup:

Hi Ladies,

Thank you so much for your input!

Tawnya, a special thanks to you for always having the answers to ease my mind! Hopfully someday I will be able to afford to pay you back for that ;)

You might want to download our free Virtual Assistant Toolbar as Patty has over the years kept adding our favourite resources, products and services there for VAs :)

Download here for FREE http://www.vanetworking.com/toolbar.htm

I just downloaded the toolbar now and it's really cool! They cut off the AOL radio into Thailand just recently (bummer). So now I'm listening via the toolbar the VANA :thumbup: The wealth of info on this little gadget is amazing! I especially love the the VA Tools and VAs Globally all in one place. Thanks! Thanks!