Jerri G

Business Mail

Hello Everyone,

I'm not sure what to do about a mailing address for my business. PO Box's are out, due to some carriers will not deliver to a PO Box. Do I use my physical mailing address which is my home address, (wondering if the mail lady will get confused) or do I use a service if there is such a thing? But then will I run into the problem of my mail not getting to me if I use a service. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

Jerri Goranson

Virtual Office Visions

Go to the UPS store and get a box there. That way you have a physical address for deliveries, but you don't have to give out your home address.

Me - I don't care. I just use my home address.

Jerri, I've always had a PO box as I didn't want someone showing up on my home office doorstep. Funny thing, I've actually had people phone me and say, where is Suite 393...I'm here right now but don't see it, not realizing it was a post office box ;)

My home is my personal space for friends/family only...not clients!

One other thing to think about before spending the money is, are you going to have things actually delivered to you. All my work is done virtually and so no one needs my address. I do have some clients who send me little presents or cards once in a while so I'll just give them my home address. Other than that, I don't receive anything that has to be sent to me.

Just something to think about.

Tawyna,

LOL! :D I agree, although how do you get packages? In NJ Fed Ex, UPS etc will not deliver to a PO Box.

Hi Jerri,

While you are correct that some carriers will not deliver to a PO box, UPS has delivered to ours. I have a PO address because I live in a rural address and UPS found our property (with some help from me) and drove into our yard, scaring the bejeepers out of the horses. Both the driver and I were howling because the horses were acting so insanely and we decided that it was because they had never seen a big brown truck before, lol!

If I need a delivery sent via a courier and the carrier doesn't like PO addresses, I have the package sent to my husband's office. Being virtual, I have never had a need for a client to use my mailing address for the purpose of using a courier.

Hope that helps!

Hi, Jerri:

I use a PO box to protect my privacy and my personal safety. Like Tawnya, I want my business and my home to be separate. I don't want clients showing up at my door. If we need to meet, I schedule that at an outside location.

I also live in a condo complex; the condo associaton allows "limited" professional office use. So I play by the rules and "limit" it to no business visitors just to be sure I'm not in violation.

As far as UPS/FedEx/couriers: Most of my deliveries are for office supplies/equipment for my business, so it hasn't been an issue. A few times clients have requested my home address to get a package to me, and I've supplied it for those occasions. My experience is the same as Patty's--it doesn't happen often.

PO boxes are cheap, and you may want to try that before you invest in another option.

Good luck--

Ramona

I just use my home address. I do have some bookkeeping clients that have to send things to me sometimes, but they just send to my regular address. As for "visits", I've only had a client come to my door twice...and both times it was arranged in advance. The only local clients I have are bookkeeping clients anyway. If they feel they need to meet with me either I go to their place or we meet somewhere (i.e. Starbucks or the library). They're made aware that I'm NOT a "drop in" business. I personally just have never been the type of person who feels the need to keep things "secret". I've always been of the thought that if someone "bad" wanted to find me, they'd find me whether I put my address on a business card or not. But then again, my hubby's a cop and I was a corrections officer "in a previous life", so I know my way around personal protection devices! ;)

This is why I love love this forum.

Thank you so much for all the great advice. Well, I will have to make a decision soon. I am leaning towards the PO Box, but it's another added cost I will have to budget for. :D

I have a PO Box, but if they are sending a courier or FedEx, I just give them my home address. Honestly, you can find anyone's address if you want it back enough and clients know I work from home and can't just knock on my door. Doesn't happen. I have two that will drop stuff off on their way thru somewhere, they know to call first and if I'm not here or don't answer, they leave it in a pre-determined area.

I have a P.O. box and think of my trips to the post office as a chance to network and get my face out there. I live in a small town (have only been here for a year) and want to get people used to seeing me and know who I am. I am planning on starting out marketing locally and figure this is as good a way as any to start.