MeJo

Proper Questions Etiquette

Here is a question in a question. I was sitting here wondering IF I should ask what I should do when I have something I want to post, but I'm not sure if it is a :nono: . I don't think it is, but then again; I can see how it could be, but it's really harmless...

Well this lead me to start thinking about some co-workers I had once. These girls would verbalize that they didn't know what they were doing with a job responsibility, but they would not ask the people that could clear up the confusion. Instead they worked through it, and accomplished something. Now that something might have turned out favorably, but sometimes I had to clean up the mess later.

Ok, so that is different from me. I will give the issue a fair amount of consideration before I decide if I feel that it would be way more productive to just ask.

Consequently, I have often wondered if I tend to ask too many questions, and don't make "executive decisions" when I should or could. Sometimes it feels like a double standard.

Have any of you ever have this kind of problem with clients? I know the old "no question is a stupid question", but lets face it: I know sometimes it doesn't feel like it! I also like making "executive decisions". I don't like to step on toes, but on that rare occasion I know it has happened to me. :addohno:

What are your thoughts?

Hello MeJo,

If you have a concern about a post topic please email Patty at resources@vanetworking.com to inquire. She'll be able to advise. Most topics are freely discussed with the exception of specific pricing/rates and disputes or rants that name individuals specifically. (We always want to be respectful of our fellow colleagues and others viewpoints.) When in doubt keep in mind that these posts can appear in a Google search so if you don't want it public then refrain from posting.

There's nothing wrong with asking questions to clarify the project you're working on. Better to know exactly what is expected than spend time doing something that won't be of benefit to anyone or may cause a problem.

As for executive decisions, seems these types of decisions should be made by the business owner if it's pertaining to their business. A VAs responsibility is not to run a business for someone but to support the client in their business.

~Ruth

Good answer Ruth!

Yes, if you have a question about anything relating to the forum, please feel free to email me (resources [at] vanetworking [dot] com) and I'll assist however I can.

Patty Dost

Time Is Of The Es-Cents . . . Saving Your Business Time and Money ~~~ Virtually

Interested in Subcontracting with Virtual Assistants? Here's the ebook that will assist you.....The VAs VA

QUESTION :: What do VAs do when they've got big plans but don't know where to start?

ANSWER :: They download the VAnetworking Kick Start Package!

It's FREE :: It's FUN :: And you'll get something DONE :: Download yours now.

Better to know exactly what is expected than spend time doing something that won't be of benefit to anyone or may cause a problem.

~Ruth

Yes! I agree. Thank you

also don't forget the cardboard man (or woman !) I once had a boss who told me before I came to him with any query to ask the cardboard man ! He literally had me put a cardboard cutout of a man on my desk and had me ask the question out loud to it LOL it sounds crazy but it actually works, sometimes when you just verbalize the question you actually find the answer yourself? did you ever start to write a post and by the time you had it finished you realised you knew the answer? or say something to someone and then realised you didn't need an answer.

I use the cardboard man all the time now and find it great :D !!

I think as long as we refrain from providing exact names, dates, times, places, etc. and keep our questions general enough in nature that they cannot be traced back to an exact person, event or situation anything is fair game ... pose your questions as a "what if" scenario if you don't want to have the worries.

Just one thing to keep in mind ... these topics that are open to the public are just that open to the public so be careful what you do post. A client may just be searching you and find a question you have posted on a forum. Using the secured and private areas such as the VAinsider area is always a better bet and a good reason to consider becoming a VAinsider.

also don't forget the cardboard man (or woman !) I once had a boss who told me before I came to him with any query to ask the cardboard man ! He literally had me put a cardboard cutout of a man on my desk and had me ask the question out loud to it LOL it sounds crazy but it actually works, sometimes when you just verbalize the question you actually find the answer yourself? did you ever start to write a post and by the time you had it finished you realised you knew the answer? or say something to someone and then realised you didn't need an answer.

I use the cardboard man all the time now and find it great :D !!

LOL, That gave me a good laugh, Thanks

I know what you mean, maybe if I can refrain from laughing long enough I'll give it a try :)