salterva

Is this rude/snippy

So another VA sends this message to MY client:

I really enjoy your newsletter. If I may make a suggestion?

There are a lot of strange characters that appear in your text (as you can see below). A lot of times these characters are inserted in the place of apostrophes and the like when text is copied and pasted from MS Word directly into the shopping cart template for your ezine. You may want to have a chat with your VA about her process for completing your newsletter...

First of all, I KNOW and don't copy from word. Secound of all, the symbols didn't show in any of the tests I sent to myself OR my client.

But what really hacks me off is the last sentence (bold added by me). Is she trying to snag my client or what? Or am I just being over sensitive?

So another VA sends this message to MY client:

I really enjoy your newsletter. If I may make a suggestion?

There are a lot of strange characters that appear in your text (as you can see below). A lot of times these characters are inserted in the place of apostrophes and the like when text is copied and pasted from MS Word directly into the shopping cart template for your ezine. You may want to have a chat with your VA about her process for completing your newsletter...

First of all, I KNOW and don't copy from word. Secound of all, the symbols didn't show in any of the tests I sent to myself OR my client.

But what really hacks me off is the last sentence (bold added by me). Is she trying to snag my client or what? Or am I just being over sensitive?

I would be upset too! I would tell you not to let it bother you too much, but I know that would be hard!

Hi Karen -

Only the person sending that email would know their intent, however, it definitely could have been worded differently.

I would be less concerned about the person sending it and focus on how your client reacted to receiving it. Did they get upset that there were "errors" with the mailing, or did they talk it over with you and realize that recipients of the newsletter will see things differently from browser to browser and screen size to screen size.

Turn it around and use it as a way to show your client just how wonderful you are. Apologize to them for having had received such an email from someone who obviously has no tact. Reiterate all the things you did and to get the newsletter out properly, etc.

If your client is anything like mine are, then he/she will see the email for what it is and just let this one go and not bother with a reply to the sender.

Oooh, that was underhanded. The proofreading cops are out there. Actually, one did me a favor this week and led to a blog post, but she contact ME, not a client.

Code does crazy things. I would employ the three fingers that are pointing back at her and suspect her email platform. It could be messing with enriched newsletter templates.

Keep up your good work for the client, as Kristy said. That is all you can do. The client might need some reassurance and reminders that both of you saw the tests.

We're working with a fragile, fallible system and machines. Crap can and will happen.

Just as my keyboard and screen has been fighting me here for a couple weeks so I can't edit or arrange things the way I want.

I would also suggest you close your eyes and picture this person as an applicant for Last Comic Standing. The more I look at the note, the more ridiculous it becomes.

You don't know who this VA is, do you? I'm undecided what you should do. On the one hand, if you ever find out, I'm for calling her up and saying, "Hey! W-T-F?" On the other hand, if your client is happy with your work, and there's no reason to let it bother you, then don't let it bother you.

Adopt my saying:

"I'm not one to seek revenge. Its my belief Karma will be a much bigger bitch than I could ever be."

Thanks everyone. I was afraid I was overreacting. I have an excellent relationship with the client and don't really feel like this will be a deal breaker. She asked me why it happened and I pointed out everything that you have said - different email platforms and the fact that she and I both saw tests before it was sent.

Dana, yes I DO know the other VA's name. I'm not much on confrontation so doubt I will call her out. Sure puts a bitter taste in my mouth but I believe in Karma too.

You may want to have a chat with your VA about her process for completing your newsletter...

Everybody here has given you great answers...and I will leave it at that.

On the other hand, if this happen to me - I would shoot first, then ask questions!

"I'm not one to seek revenge. Its my belief Karma will be a much bigger bitch than I could ever be."!

Love that quote Dana!

Elenora

I agree with comments here and I too love Dana's quote, but you know the kicker about what the other VA said about checking on how your VA completes newsletters I find rather comical myself, although as a virtual assistant I am not as seasoned, but even in office standpoint you know that things can mishap. Working virtually you can test something 50 times and have it show perfect and then submit and it comes out all screwed up and out of alignment.

In this case I am not sure I myself wouldnt confront them if I knew them, I would be fuming what should have been said, Your VA did a good job on this newsletter, however when I viewed it I got some extra symbols and I am not clear if it my system, maybe you could find out how it was formatted so someone else does not get the same symbols or I can fix mine so I dont" I found that every industry is competitive to some point and with a growing industry like this one, in order for our industry to grow we need to work together and communicate effectively. I am all for constructive criticism, but criticism like that to a client HMMM doesn't sound like a very professional VA to me.

You may want to have a chat with your VA about her process for completing your newsletter...

Everybody here has given you great answers...and I will leave it at that.

On the other hand, if this happen to me - I would shoot first, then ask questions!

"I'm not one to seek revenge. Its my belief Karma will be a much bigger bitch than I could ever be."!

Love that quote Dana!

Elenora

Contacting a website owner or blog owner about possible typo or display issues I don't think is bad in itself ( many times you don't know who works behind the scenes as the VA), but to make a remark as she did really shows a lack of professional courtesy and respect. I would be upset also, but if your client is happy with your work and has a good relationship with you, I am betting she will also see the poor way the other person worded her email.

Hi Karen -

Only the person sending that email would know their intent, however, it definitely could have been worded differently.

I would be less concerned about the person sending it and focus on how your client reacted to receiving it. Did they get upset that there were "errors" with the mailing, or did they talk it over with you and realize that recipients of the newsletter will see things differently from browser to browser and screen size to screen size.

Turn it around and use it as a way to show your client just how wonderful you are. Apologize to them for having had received such an email from someone who obviously has no tact. Reiterate all the things you did and to get the newsletter out properly, etc.

If your client is anything like mine are, then he/she will see the email for what it is and just let this one go and not bother with a reply to the sender.

Karen,

Yes, I would be a bit upset too. I've seen newsletters, blog posts, etc. that are sent for clients and sometimes I know who the VA is. If I knew who it was, I'd contact them. If I didn't, I would contact the individual but definitely NOT send it out like that. That shows someone who is a bit unprofessional and unethical.

BUT...I do have to agree with Kristi. She's definitely given some great insight into this.

Patty Dost

Time Is Of The Es-Cents . . . Saving Your Business Time and Money ~~~ Virtually

Interested in Subcontracting with Virtual Assistants? Here's the ebook that will assist you.....The VAs VA

QUESTION :: What do VAs do when they've got big plans but don't know where to start?

ANSWER :: They download the VAnetworking Kick Start Package!

It's FREE :: It's FUN :: And you'll get something DONE :: Download yours now.

Hmm... I guess I didn't see that statement as underhanded or anything. She's just saying you might want to chat with the VA and find out what's up basically. I think people read what they want into the written word sometimes. Having said that, if there are extra characters, it's probably a good idea to find out why. I would ask the person that sent the message to send you a screen shot if possible. You'll be able to search through the HTML code you used to see what the offending item is.

I do know that on my own newsletter, it does display differently for different people. On my list is to get my web guy to take out anything that is not considered web standards.

Dianna set up phrasing that all of us should copy/paste and practice because it is a concern to clients due to the customers who might be alarmed at the appearance of the email text. Give that girl a Klondike bar.

Email works in black/white and needs some solid consideration about the words used because too often that cold b/w comes across flamin' insulting.

If the VA in questions knows Karen, using positive wording and a cc to her might have been even more 'constructive'. (Since Karen knows, I'm suspecting that the writer knows too.) The present phrasing reeks of someone who saw a crack in the armor and believes he/she could do the job better. Very distracting from solutions that would benefit a CLIENT, for cryin' out loud.

Kristi gave some great advice. Turn the situation to your advantage. Be professional. Show your stuff.

Always take the high road. There are way too many people out there who are already on the low road. Don't be one of them. Words are indeed just that--words--and people "read" them differently, as others have pointed out. On top of that, this situation has the added dimension of possible "technical" difficulties.

And hats off to Dana about her Karma quote. I can't tell you how many years it took me to let things go--and let Karma kick in. It was one of the toughest professional lessons I ever learned.

Karma might not always kick in immediately, but it always kicks in.

Be patient, Grasshopper.

Ramona