Sign in to follow this  
Julie Dillman

How did you find work?

Ok as you proably know I am just starting out and very eager I might add lol...I was just wondering, aside from the facebooks, twitters, linkedin's, wordpress and Youtube's of the cyber world, what did you do to get your name out there? I have told everyone I know, put adsense and adwords on my site, videos on my site, I have listed with online small business directories, the list goes on and on. Does anyone have any other tips for finding clients?

Hi,

Probably alot of VA's may not do this....but have you tried any Freelancing sites?? Now, just remember to stick to your guns and don't falter on your price points! Many people/business' looking to hire for all kinds of online work, want freelancers who do it on the "cheap", but if you go and establish yourself as a professional, you'll find many projects there, probably not right away....but as I said, don't go below what you want to be paid!!

Also...at the Warrior Forum. I always see people looking for VA's

Give it a go!

Kim

Hi,

Probably alot of VA's may not do this....but have you tried any Freelancing sites?? Now, just remember to stick to your guns and don't falter on your price points! Many people/business' looking to hire for all kinds of online work, want freelancers who do it on the "cheap", but if you go and establish yourself as a professional, you'll find many projects there, probably not right away....but as I said, don't go below what you want to be paid!!

Also...at the Warrior Forum. I always see people looking for VA's

Give it a go!

Kim

Awsome Kim!!! Thank you!!!! I owe you one! :thumbup:

Hi Julie,

I got my first client by advertising in the classifieds in a local newspaper. This continues to be my most successful method to date. The rates are manageable.

Julie,

Have you tried volunteer work that might lead to work you love or networking through your Chamber of Commerce or neighborhood associations?

Debbie Lynn

I think volunteer work is a great opportunity to get known. I have done volunteer work since I started my VA business in 2004. It actually landed me a very lucrative monthly retainer with the local chapter of a well-known women's business association. I now work about 30-40 hours a month for this association as their chapter manager. I started with this association serving on the board as the secretary. It was two years before I was encouraged to submit a bid to the chapter in response to an RFP the chapter sent out. What was nice about the situation is that people on the board knew me and knew what I could do for them. I do want to offer a word of caution about volunteer work: Don't volunteer so much of your billable skills and time that you end up doing more volunteer work than billable work. I offer this to you from my own experience. I learned a very valuable lesson. I have reduced my volunteer activities because I discovered I was doing exactly what I caution you about.

Marit

Marit K. Fox

Abundant Administrative Services

www.abundantadmin.com

"Creating Your Abundance by Eliminating Your Administrivia"

Hi Julie!

Have you joined any local networking groups. Check Meetup.com for a group near you. Also, what about your local chamber of commerce? Do you have a target market?

Sounds like you are doing everything you can think of to find clients. Keep doing what you are doing and they'll start coming your way. You may want to look at our VAinsider Club Get Clients membership. It is only $27/mth which you easily recuperate by obtaining just one client through our job board. We had 4 jobs go through yesterday.

vainsiders.jpg