Sign in to follow this  
Cathy Wentzel

Business Plan

Has anyone done a business plan? I have looked at examples online but I'm still somewhat mystified as to how to get started.

Thanks,

Cathy

Has anyone done a business plan? I have looked at examples online but I'm still somewhat mystified as to how to get started.

Thanks,

Cathy

Cathy,

While I'm not a VA yet, I'd encourage you to go to Small Business Administrations' Small Business Planner (if you haven't already found it). They have many good links about writing a business plan, things to think about, etc. I've used these in the past to help a friend build a business plan for a possible venture, and this is what I'll use for mine when I get ready to pursue a VA business of my own. The link is: http://www.sba.gov/smallbusinessplanner/plan/writeabusinessplan/index.html. Don't forget, though, that the SBA speaks in generalities. If you want VA-specific stuff beyond what you can glean off of this forum, I think Tawyna's "VANA Get Started" program (the title of this program may be slightly different - I'm writing from memory) available for purchase may be a good consideration for you. I'm considering it myself, but not yet ready to invest hard cash just yet.

Good luck!

Yes, check with your local business startup office as they were very helpful when I first started out.

I believe a business plan is crucial to understanding your business goals. You'd have a blueprint to build a house right? You need a business plan to build a business ;)

I do include my 40 page business plan in the VAC and you also get it in the Supercharge VAinsider Club (if you sign up monthly, I believe you get it on the 3rd month of your membership).

Hi there,

I too am also stuck on my business plan. I understand the value of it, and I have attempted to begin using templates I've found, however some stuff you can't simply create from scratch.

In order to obtain a particular sponsor's funding, I need to complete my biz plan, however I am unable [due to limited funds/unemployment] to pay for the VAC level of membership. After its done I'll have a hefty check in which I can spend to sign up for every membership and certification I want, but until then.. I'm unemployed and broke trying to write a business plan on my shear brain skills..

Is there any resource geared towards online consulting if not VA work that would help???

Any thoughts? I know this is an old post, but perhaps someone will chime in..

thanks!

Randa Lee

Hi there,

I too am also stuck on my business plan. I understand the value of it, and I have attempted to begin using templates I've found, however some stuff you can't simply create from scratch.

In order to obtain a particular sponsor's funding, I need to complete my biz plan, however I am unable [due to limited funds/unemployment] to pay for the VAC level of membership. After its done I'll have a hefty check in which I can spend to sign up for every membership and certification I want, but until then.. I'm unemployed and broke trying to write a business plan on my shear brain skills..

Is there any resource geared towards online consulting if not VA work that would help???

Any thoughts? I know this is an old post, but perhaps someone will chime in..

thanks!

Randa Lee

Randa, I would contact your local Small Business Administration. If Google is correct, your local SBA office is:

Washington DC District Office

Washington Metropolitan Area District Office

740 15th Street NW, Suite 300

Washington, D.C. 20005-3544

Phone: (202) 272-0345

They should be able to tell you what resources are available in your area.

Good luck!

Hello.

I have written a business plan and fortunately for me I did not have to get financing for my VA business.

I found a number of resources on the internet for writing a business plan, including the SBA. The main thing to remember when writing a business plan is that it has to reflect you, not someone else. If you are going to present your plan to help you get financing, you will need to be able to answer their questions. If your plan does not represent what your plan is for your business, the person that you are presenting the plan to will know.

Another free source is SCORE. Their website is www.score.org. They have information along with online workshops also. If you have a local office, they also have counselors that can assist you.

What helped me was taking the outline and completing the parts that I knew the answers to first. Then I reviewed it and kept adding until it was finished. [Okay, so I started with the easy parts and left the hardest parts to last.] Since it was not critical that I have a business plan, it took me about three weeks to get it completed.

Wishing you all the best in writing your business plan!