Virtual Bookkeeping Options

I am wondering if anyone uses a web-based bookkeeping software or if anyone knows of a way to share the information back and forth with their clients (eg: dropbox). She said she's used freshbooks.com but the invoicing portion of it never worked.

Any suggestions on how to 'virtually' do someone's bookkeeping would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I am wondering if anyone uses a web-based bookkeeping software or if anyone knows of a way to share the information back and forth with their clients (eg: dropbox). She said she's used freshbooks.com but the invoicing portion of it never worked.

Any suggestions on how to 'virtually' do someone's bookkeeping would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I have this same question!!

Jeanette

I have used Quickbooks, both desktop and online. The online version is costly but you are able to log on anytime from any computer. The desktop version can allow an "accountants copy" to be created and emailed. I hope this helps.

Abbie

I use Outright for my financials as well as for one of my clients' financials as well. Outright is free and web-based. I use PayPal for invoicing. Outright connects to my PayPal account each night and downloads all transactions (invoices I sent out, payments my clients may have made, expenses I paid with my PayPal). When I log back in my Outright the next day, all my transactions are there with exceptions of the expenses that I pay out of my checking account. I just enter them quickly and I'm done. Super easy.

I have my own servers where we host QuickBooks. I do not like the online version and I have yet to find a good solution beyond QuickBooks that gives my clients the level of service they need/want. There are better packages out there (love Peachtree) but the reality is that QuickBooks is what most people use, so we adapt for them :)

I use Sharefile for Accountants, which lets my clients and myself exchange confidential documents, including large data files. It may not be as seamless as an application hosting service but it is very reasonable priced.

Good luck

Lucie Hansom

Your Virtual Mobile Office Assistant

SUM Bookkeeping & Office Services

My link

Guest ndeluca

The method we have implemented at my virtual bookkeeping office is the use of SFTP. Although it does not offer real time changes within quickbooks and the ability for both of you to access it at the same time. Our strategy is to let the business owner get back to what they love and let us take care of the financials. It takes us literally, 30 seconds for us to post up ANY financial report needed. Also, be cautious of "virtual desktops" as their is much debate and speculation regarding security measures. At least with the use of a SFTP within our site and a SSL cert gives us the ability to have the same security measures implemented by online banking systems.

I've used QuickBooks Online, which I really like, Clarity Accounting and WorkingPoint. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Outright and WorkingPoint are very limited in their free versions. Clarity is much more robust, but not very intuitive. I could go on. I would recommend that you check out your available options, try a couple free trials, and pick the one that works best for you.

FreshBooks is a very robust invoicing program, so I'm surprised that your client had problems. Maybe you want to poke around in it on her behalf and get it straightened out. Once its setup properly, it's a dream to use. It also integrates nicely with both Outright and Clarity.

If you have any questions about any of the programs I've mentioned, I'd be happy to answer questions and give you some tips :)

Deb

I have my own servers where we host QuickBooks. I do not like the online version and I have yet to find a good solution beyond QuickBooks that gives my clients the level of service they need/want. There are better packages out there (love Peachtree) but the reality is that QuickBooks is what most people use, so we adapt for them :)

Hi Candy,

I am getting off track here, can you tell me about your servers and how the hosting works? I am thinkg about getting a server for my VA business and want to know your opinion.

Thank you!

It might be worth looking at Kashflow, which is based in the UK but can be set to dollars, in addition to other currencies. They give you a 60-day trial and do not ask for any payment details until the trial comes to an end so you have plenty of opportunity to work out whether or not it works for you.