Sign in to follow this  
dsradministrativeservices

Help Please

Hi Everyone,

I have been researching and I am trying to figure out if you have to be a certified Paralegal to offer services to Attorneys. I am currently enrolled in online classes and trying to finish up so that I can get certified as a Legal Assistant. I have always loved the Legal Field and I feel that is where my passion is and where I want to be. I just don’t really know where to start since I wasn’t sure if you needed to be certified. I don’t and will not offer legal advice. I was thinking about really focusing on the administrative part (typing up motions, pleadings, billing and etc).

I also have another dilemma if I do choose to go forward with this as my niche I would love to get opinions on my website. I feel that I need to make my website focus more on my niche.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You don't have to be certified, but quite frankly, I would suggest a minimum of 5 years of in-office experience as a paralegal before branching out into the freelance market. Unless you manage to find some attorneys who are willing to invest the time in training you, you will find that generally speaking, what you learn in class and what you actually do as a paralegal on a daily basis are two very different things. Working in an office will provide you with valuable training in addition to exposure to areas of the law that do or don't interest you. Of course, if you simply want to offer administrative services (more like legal secretary work) that's a little different, and if you have any sort of administrative background that along with your education will probably be sufficient to make you seem qualified to your target market.

I'm not a certified paralegal, and honestly - have had no problem finding attorney clients. But then, I do have 17 years' experience, so that says a lot.