taguero

Please Help me my fellow VAs

Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to virtual assisting and am currently employed as an Office Manager, but am looking to branch out on my own. I have just received an email from a potential client that has offered me to be Virtual Office Manager and to respond with a SEO writing sample. She didn't specify on anything else. I've never done one before, but I know what they are and how to do one. So what do I do to prove that I'm qualified? Please bear with me, I know I'm very green in this area, but I'm great at what I do, I just need to know how to present it properly and I don't want to lose this client.

Thank you in advance.

Tracy

Edited by VA_mabella

Hello Tracy,

Yes, responding with a brief cover letter, including your rates, links to your writing samples, and a suggestion to schedule a complementary pre-consult to discuss the client's needs would be appropriate.

I'm presuming the prospective client has inquired about writing services that you may offer and would like to read some of your articles, blog posts, copywriting pieces or whatever style writing you may do. If you have a blog you could provide a the link. If you've submitted articles on the Net you could point her to an article directory to browse your writing or share some of the URLs from copywriting projects you've done. Perhaps you write short pieces for a newsletter than send your newsletter.

If you don't have full examples of your work, as you're just starting out, then I would be cautious about writing a "full" piece as a example. Writing a few paragraphs would be an acceptable example.

Best wishes with your prospective client.

~Ruth

Hello Tracy,

Yes, responding with a brief cover letter, including your rates, links to your writing samples, and a suggestion to schedule a complementary pre-consult to discuss the client's needs would be appropriate.

I'm presuming the prospective client has inquired about writing services that you may offer and would like to read some of your articles, blog posts, copywriting pieces or whatever style writing you may do. If you have a blog you could provide a the link. If you've submitted articles on the Net you could point her to an article directory to browse your writing or share some of the URLs from copywriting projects you've done. Perhaps you write short pieces for a newsletter than send your newsletter.

If you don't have full examples of your work, as you're just starting out, then I would be cautious about writing a "full" piece as a example. Writing a few paragraphs would be an acceptable example.

Best wishes with your prospective client.

~Ruth

Thank you Ruth. I had just updated my original posting and added that she wanted an SEO writing sample, but that I've never done one before. I never offered writing services. So what do I do now?

The request for an SEO writing sample for a Virtual Office Manager is interesting. If you know how to write one, do that, with reference to your other online writing information if you wish. If you will be writing web copy, you want to show them that you can attract the search engines.

Ruth's recommendation to add some extra information is good as well. Does this potential client know your rates and the hours you are available to work? You need some sort of agreement in place before you begin as well.

Have a good time and best wishes. Congratulations on your prospective client. It is always encouraging when they seek you.

Tracy,

As JudyAnn pointed out typically an SEO writer isn't a virtal office manager as these two niches are unique in themselves and often priced differently since the responsibilities vary. Always get a signed agreement and possible deposit before beginning a project. Perhaps scheduling a pre-consult would be good to get a feel for specificially what is needed.

If writing is something that you do well, enjoy, and learning the aspects of SEO are something you're interested in then by all means let the prospect know that you are a beginner but interested in taking your business in this direction. SEO Writing comes with a certain level of understanding how the search engines work, how to include keywords into the pieces, etc. etc.

There's nothing wrong in letting a client know that this isn't a service you offer (or aren't versed in) and referring them to another colleague or encouraging them to post an RFP here.