I finally took the plunge and signed up last night... now what do I do? Do I need headphones and/or one of the camera things? I'm going to see if my sister has Skype; then I will have someone to "practice" with before I have any clients that I need to chat with.

Yes, you will need a microphone and some speakers if you wish to do more than chat. A lot of people like the headset/boom mic combo headset (try saying that in one breath)

I would recommend getting a good one if you are going to use it for business. Since Skype is free, and internet calling is free, spend some money on the headset. Nothing says 'cheap business' more than a crappy sounding microphone and a poor performing sound card. If you just want to talk to friends and family, then you can get away with a bad one. They will forgive you and love you, know matter how bad you sound.. :rolleyes:

The video is your choice. There are plenty of webcams out there from $10 - $300. If you plan to do video chat with clients, same rule.

I have also purchased Skype minutes so I can call any landline in the world. It is very inexpensive and comes in handy if you wish to talk to someone in another country but they do not have a Skype account. (or anyone without a Skype account)

Test it on family and friends or some of the VA's here. Find someone who will be honest with you about sound quality. Asking someone how you sound and they respond with 'good' is not really an answer. I will be willing to help you with this if you wish. As everyone knows here, I am brutally honest when it comes to sound quality. B):angry:

• Like 1

Thanks Brent,

What would you recommend for a headset? Bose has one for about $175, Skype carries one that is wireless for $80. I know the Bose is probably a lot better... but is it $100 better?

If I can't find any friends or family with Skype I will take you up on your offer.

I use a headset/mic combo. I've had skype for 4 years but only installed a webcam last week because my daughter is moving to Austria for a year and I thought it would be really nice to see her as well as speak. I probably wouldn't use it for business though (I'm a bit shy that way)!

Sheena

I finally took the plunge and signed up last night... now what do I do? Do I need headphones and/or one of the camera things? I'm going to see if my sister has Skype; then I will have someone to "practice" with before I have any clients that I need to chat with.

Headphones and web cameras are needed if you want to have a conversation with someone on SKYPE...

I rarely ever do video calls on Skype. Just don't like to; although I do have a web cam. However, I do voice calling frequently and I have a Blue Snowball microphone that I got on Amazon.com (around $80 or so I believe). It's a USB mic you just plug into your computer. Easy to use and I find that I do not have to use a headset with this mic, as it has settings to make it very directional in what is picks up. Excellent for recording.

For those rare times there is feedback from my speakers, I simply use ear buds (like for my ipod/iphone) and then I can still use the Blue Snowball mic.

Would a Bluetooth headset work? I have one that I use that connects to my iPhone and iPad and I use it at the gym for music but I can also receive calls. It's wireless so I can move around freely when talking (if not on video).