Well, not a lot of people know, but I've been having some very severe teeth issues.

I've hated dentists since I was a little girl....actually not hated, but am very afraid. The first dentist I went to decided that I shouldn't be afraid or shaking while in his chair and so he grabbed me my both arms and shook the daylights out of me, while hollering at me the whole time to stop shaking. Boy, that has helped me so much throughout the years with other dentists...lol.

Anyway, I've had a lot of issues throughout the years, but nothing like this past month.

6/24: Went to dentist for pain in the upper right of mouth. He decided to pull my wisdom tooth. Not too bad since they gave me gas to relax me, numbed my gums and then proceeded to pull the tooth out.

7/8: Started having severe pain in the upper right out of my that evening.

7/9: Was awake all night with pain and tried to call the dentist. They were not in that day.

7/12: Called dentist early in the morning and said I was having severe pain and the right side of my face was swelling up. My dentist was on vacation the whole week, so they scheduled me to see his dad (who is a dentist too) on 7/15. They also told me to switch between Advil and Tylenol every 4 hours for pain.

7/15: Went to dentist. Right side of face was so swollen that I couldn't hardly see my right eye. They tried to do x-ray's but had to be gentle as I was in so much pain and couldn't hardly open my mouth. They found an infection in tooth #3 (if you count the wisdom tooth as #1 and work towards the front, you'll know which tooth it is). They scheduled me to see my dentist on 7/20 to take a closer look. They also prescribed pain/antibiotic meds. They told me if it gets worse to go to the emergency room.

7/16: OMG! Right side of face more swollen and severe pain. I haven't really slept for a while, which isn't out of the ordinary, but at least when I'm awake, I'm not in pain like I have been.

That afternoon, I go to the emergency room. They look at me like I'm stupid for going to the emergency room just because of a tooth. They prescribe Hydrocodone and send me on my way. Mind you that they can see how swollen my face is.

My daughter ended up calling a friend who is a dentist. He told me to go to his office the next day for them to look at it.

7/17: I go to friend's dental office and his brother has x-ray's taken. Yep - the infection is still there and they don't want to do anything with it because they're afraid I might get sepsis (not something I really need). They prescribe a stronger anti-biotic, along with the pain meds the hospital gave me, and I go home.

7/20: I go to my dentist. He takes one look at me and says we need to relieve some of the pressure so that the infection can drain. They drill a whole in the tooth (of course after making sure I'm on the gas to relax me and they've given me my shots to numb me). They schedule me for 7/27 for a root canal.

Throughout this whole week, I'm in pain and still swollen.

7/27: I go back to my dentist for a root canal. Gas and shots are set and ready to go. The root canal goes fine and they send me on my way. I'm still on pain meds and they said I would be a little sore for a day or two but then back to normal.

7/28: Still in pain and still swollen but thought I'd give it a day or so.

7/29: Called the dentist and said I can't handle this. They scheduled me to see them on 7/30 for a check-up.

7/30: Go back to my dentist and they kind of freak out. They can't believe I'm still in so much pain and still so swollen. They check me out and decide to give me more gas/shots so that they can cut my gum to release more infection. Ummmm.....hello? Cut my gum??? Are you kidding??? Well, that sure didn't settle with my stomach. I almost got sick just thinking about it. They got me all relaxed (I love the gas!), numbed my gums, and off they went. They tried to push the infection out but hardly got anything. OK - more Hydrocodone and more antibiotics. They'll see me on 8/2 to see how I'm doing. They're starting to think that this may be getting really bad. If I get worse or stay the same, I'm supposed to go back to the hospital.

Do you think they'll think I'm stupid if I go back? Probably but the dentist told me to tell them to call him if they do.

8/1: Well, it's off to the emergency room...again. Pain isn't as bad (down to about a 6-7 from a 10+) but the swelling is still there.

They check me in and I told them right up front...I'm not stupid for coming here like you guys thought the other day. There is something definitely wrong and if you have any questions, call my dentist.

They take me into a room, take my vitals, and decide to give me an IV. OH GOODIE! I'm so excited!!! (NOT!!!) I am NOT a needle person. I know what you're thinking too...boy, that girl is such a wimp! You're right!!! I hate needles, dentists, and doctors. I'm also not a medicine person. It takes me forever just to take Tylenol for a headache. Well, I've gotten over the whole medicine bit this month....give me drugs! LOL

Anyway, they decide to give me a shot of morphine and have a CT scan done.

The morphine helped the pain and I was able to relax for about an hour. Then they came and took me for the scan. Can someone say not fun? They put something in the IV so that it would go through my body and they could get a good pic of my face. Man! That stuff made me hot from the top of my head to the tips of my toes.

OK - that's over with. Back to my 'room' and more morphine and waiting.

Finally...the dr's assistant comes in and says she's trying to reach an oral surgeon to check something out. They think I may need surgery.

Nerves are now shot. I'm done. I just want this over with.

As I shake, I try to call my dentist friend. I had to leave a message.

Hubby is walking down the hall (he was working) when my MIL saw him. She told him to get to the room right away because I had to have surgery. She didn't explain that it was oral surgery so he was thinking cancer or something very severe. It kind of freaked him out.

By the time he came into the room, the doctor's assistant was back and explained that the infection is now in the bone and that an oral surgeon needs to look at it and I'll probably have to have surgery.

My dentist friend finally calls back and he talks to hubby. He says that an oral surgeon is the best way to go and to let him know how things go.

I now have to call the oral surgeon first thing Monday morning.

The doctor's assistant told me to continue my antibiotic and they gave me a prescription for Oxycodone (I guess it's pretty strong stuff).

I'm going to be emailing all of my clients to let them know the exciting news and I'm trying to get as much done as I possibly can (with or without pain).

The moral to this very, very, very long story is: Don't just take care of your physical and mental health. Take care of your teeth too. And, if you think something is totally not feeling right, tell the doctor/dentist. It's your body and you know if they're just not understanding what you're body is going through. I knew pretty much from the get-go that there was something definitely wrong but decided they knew best. They have the degree's and are doctors/dentists. I'm not (and I don't play one on TV either).

Anyway, I'll try to keep you all posted as to how things go but wanted you to know to please, please, please take care of yourself.

Sorry for rambling too. :)

Patty Dost

Time Is Of The Es-Cents . . . Saving Your Business Time and Money ~~~ Virtually

Interested in Subcontracting with Virtual Assistants? Here's the ebook that will assist you.....The VAs VA

QUESTION :: What do VAs do when they've got big plans but don't know where to start?

ANSWER :: They download the VAnetworking Kick Start Package!

It's FREE :: It's FUN :: And you'll get something DONE :: Download yours now.

Patty,

I so feel for you. I also really, really dislike going to the dentist. I have a very small mouth (even though hubby might disagree with that) and it makes it very hard for them to do anything.

My advise for you once this whole mess is resolved; find another dentist. I learned that the hard way but once I found one that I could trust, who understand how I felt being there, it made all the difference in the world. I wasn't as nervous going there and didn't freak out every time I had to get my teeth cleaned.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Hey Patty,

Wow, you've really had some bad painful experiences. I'm so sorry this has happened and you've had such pain. I'll be sending lots of happy thoughts and prayers your way. As you're able let us know how you're doing.

If I can lend a hand with anything drop me an email.

Hugs,

~Ruth

I'm so sorry this has gotten so bad for you. Sometimes the crack in a tooth which is leading to infection just won't show up. My BR-in-law was considering surgery for TMJ when another dentist identified a cracked molar causing pain.

Patty,

What a HORRIBLE experience for you, I am soo sorry. My father is a dentist and has had his own practice for over 30 years. I have worked in his office through out the years, I also worked at another dental office for a little while. By the second, maybe the third visit I know for a fact my father would have sent you to an oral sugeon. He has an answering service and gets called for emergencies like yours. Know dentist in his rite mind would have made you suffer like that. Patty, this could have gotten alot worse if you didn't go to the ER and listen to your body. Please find another dentist, I would do some research, talk to friends and family maybe they could recommend a good dentist. I wish you the best of luck finding a new dentis and take care, get well soon.

Jerri Goranson, CVEM, Virtual Business Assistant

Virtual Office Visions

jgvov@comcast.net

www.virtualofficevisions.com

Patty,

What a HORRIBLE experience for you, I am soo sorry. My father is a dentist and has had his own practice for over 30 years. I have worked in his office through out the years, I also worked at another dental office for a little while. By the second, maybe the third visit I know for a fact my father would have sent you to an oral sugeon. He has an answering service and gets called for emergencies like yours. Know dentist in his rite mind would have made you suffer like that. Patty, this could have gotten alot worse if you didn't go to the ER and listen to your body. Please find another dentist, I would do some research, talk to friends and family maybe they could recommend a good dentist. I wish you the best of luck finding a new dentis and take care, get well soon.

Agreed - and when you're feeling better, you'll have to tell me which dentist you were seeing so I make sure NEVER to go there. I don't have a dentist here, I still go up north to the dentist I've seen since I was a kid, but I need to find one here soon. Feel better soon!

Didn't see this until just now . . . whew.

What a miserable Monday morning wake-up call this was.

We're all pullin' for you, kid . . .

Stay strong, and do all the drugs you can!!!

Keep us posted--

Ramona

Patty,

Reading this is making my mouth hurt.

Sending you healing thoughts and lots of virtual hugs!

Get better soon!

Enjoy the rest time. You deserve it. You have not taken a rest day since I met you, years ago! You deserve some rest and relaxation while you heal.

:zz:

Oh Patty!!!

Take Sally's advice and recuperate completely once it's over.

Of course if you need anything I'm way over here but right there virtually.

Hugs!!

Well, I'll keep everyone posted. I go in tomorrow at 8am ET. I have no clue what they're going to do yet...and they don't either. LOL

Patty Dost

Interested in Subcontracting with Virtual Assistants? Here's the ebook that will assist you.....The VAs VA

QUESTION :: What do VAs do when they've got big plans but don't know where to start?

Patty, I missed your post here. I was going to post something to the group to wish you well but wasn't sure if you wanted everyone to know yet or not. I can't believe this has been going on for over a month now for you :((((

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow while you are in surgery. BE BRAVE!!!

Hopefully this will be all but a memory for you soon. There is nothing worse than teeth problems and I am wishing it all gets better for you soon.

Love ya and hang in there ;)

vainsiders.jpg

Keep me posted, girl... and stop working so much!

ROFL!!!!! I was trying to go through everything that I needed to get done and really pushed myself today. I got a lot of billable time in and a lot of clients that are happy because I got a few things handled. ;)

I'm sure my daughter will let everyone know what's going on and then whoever can post here.

I'm trying to relax now and have just taken my pain meds. Hopefully I'll be out soon and not have to keep stressing over this.

Why can't they just take care of you while you're in the hospital and not have you come back? Geesh! Do they not know how stressed people get???

{{{{{hugs}}}}} to everyone!

Patty Dost