Sign in to follow this  

WordPress Website

Hello all - I was wondering if you could tell me if I need to know HTML if I use a Word Press template? I have a website now for another business, but I pre-paid a web designer to make it and all I need to do is upload photos and put in the text and other associated info.

Also, do I have to have it hosted before I want it to go live? Meaning can I just play with it and get it ready on my computer and then go "live" and pay for the hosting once I am ready?

Thanks!

EM

Starting at the last question. I have used XAMPP to test wordpress before publishing. Several people on here put me onto it. It took me awhile to get it going because I was making the process too difficult. I don't know if it is something I did or not, but everything wasn't exactly copy/paste over into the 'live' world. Some people use a separate folder on a live website to publish their test website, then move it over when they are ready for the public to see it.

You can do some private things with WordPress in the beginning, just remember to make them public. Often, I'm working on it is a close enough 'window' that no one would know anyway till I was ready to get it going.

I would be using html on some blog posts, but the two options, visual and html make things pretty clear. If you compose your blog post in anything besides notepad, I use the little clipboard with the big T on it which removes all code. Means you have to add links, etc. but it is clean. My "Secret" Copy/Paste WordPress Tactic

The new WordPress default theme is really cool; it lets you do lots and lots of things to make it your own. More WordPress Raves

Have fun!

Hello EM,

IMO, no HTML skills required. Check out my website, I created it with Wordpress and no HTML knowledge. In fact, at the time I was very afraid of HTML!

I created my first website using one of the many free WP templates that you can find through google. For the first few months I used a free hosting service.

As my business grew and I started to feel more comfortable using WP I moved to a custom template, and a paid hosting plan to avoid the advertising that comes with the free hosting services.

There are so many templates and tutorials out there that can help you to learn WP and get a basic site up and running in no time. One of the great things about WP is that it is so flexible and can be as simple or as complicated as you need it to be. That being said, now that I am comfortable with WP, I have become more curious about what is going on under the covers, so have been dabbling in HTML and am finding that it is not as hard as I had always feared it to be.

Give WP a try, there is nothing to lose. It's fun, you will learn new skills, and your website will be able to grow with your business without the expense and time delays involved when working with a web designer. Good luck!

Hello EM,

IMO, no HTML skills required. Check out my website, I created it with Wordpress and no HTML knowledge. In fact, at the time I was very afraid of HTML!

I created my first website using one of the many free WP templates that you can find through google. For the first few months I used a free hosting service.

As my business grew and I started to feel more comfortable using WP I moved to a custom template, and a paid hosting plan to avoid the advertising that comes with the free hosting services.

There are so many templates and tutorials out there that can help you to learn WP and get a basic site up and running in no time. One of the great things about WP is that it is so flexible and can be as simple or as complicated as you need it to be. That being said, now that I am comfortable with WP, I have become more curious about what is going on under the covers, so have been dabbling in HTML and am finding that it is not as hard as I had always feared it to be.

Give WP a try, there is nothing to lose. It's fun, you will learn new skills, and your website will be able to grow with your business without the expense and time delays involved when working with a web designer. Good luck!

Thanks Terri - I definitely have that fear of HTML, but I'll give it a try. You make it sound easy, so what the heck? ;-) P.S. - Great website!

Edited by Emcee

Tx EM. Happy to try and answer any questions you have along the way. Good luck!

I use html only to tweak templates a bit and add extras - at least I was doing that before the widgets thing was brought in. Today it's so much easier for those who have no knowledge of html at all and many things are customiseable on many wordpress templates. It's my choice for websites these days.