Sign in to follow this  
taguero

Suggestions for Insuring My Business/ Equipment

I've started my business and have begun to buy some pricey equipment and software and would like to insure it. Where could I find a policy that is comprehensive and affordable? Thank you to everyone in advance for your input and advice.

I've started my business and have begun to buy some pricey equipment and software and would like to insure it. Where could I find a policy that is comprehensive and affordable? Thank you to everyone in advance for your input and advice.

The very first thing I did was call my insurance company before starting my business. I told them what I was doing and that I would be purchasing X amount of dollars in software and equiptment adding more as I go. Turns out I was covered under my existing policy up to $5000.00! So if you haven't already done so I would call them and find out how much is covered under 'contents'. It worked out for me.

I ended up buying a separate policy for business only. But I got it through my homeowner's insurance company so all my insurance is under one roof (so to speak).

I'm working from my apartment so unfortunately I cannot go through homeowners' insurance. But thank you gals for your feedback.

I'm working from my apartment so unfortunately I cannot go through homeowners' insurance. But thank you gals for your feedback.

Renters insurance should offer the same type of situation. :soapbox: And if you don't have renters insurance, you really should. It's usually less than $20/month and unless you have the savings to replace everything you own should a disaster happen, it's really something you can't do without. I used to volunteer as a caseworker with a social service agency that provided financial assistance to people in need, and when we went over their expenses before providing assistance, it was astonishing how many people didn't have any form of insurance coverage for their belongings or to pay for someplace for them to stay if their rental home burned to the ground.

Thanks Amanda. thumbup.gif I'll definitely look into renter's insurance this week. I hope it's as affordable in this area.

We rent our house, and our renter's insurance is about $17/month. Its under the same umbrella policy with our auto insurance, my E&O insurance, our short- and long-term disability insurance and our vision insurance.

We have health insurance and dental through Paul's company.

Our quarterly premium is $600 for auto, disability, vision, E&O and renter's insurance. If we paid it monthly, it would be about $300/month, so we get a little bit of a break paying it quarterly. So I just save that amount every month.

You learn creative financing when your money comes in like ours does. I have every single one of our bills divided out by percentages, and when money comes in - each dollar gets allocated accordingly.