LindaH

Forms of payment

Since finding this website I have been browsing through the multitude of forums and topics. There is a wealth of information out there for new VAs for which I am extremely grateful.

My question --What forms of payment do VAs normally (relative term here) accept? Do you hope that they will send you a check after you send them your invoice? Do you accept credit cards? If yes, how do you address the merchant fees?

I understand that I should definitely address being paid in my contract and I was wondering if I should also address what forms of payment I accept.

I would like to get your comments.

Sincerely,

Linda

Since finding this website I have been browsing through the multitude of forums and topics. There is a wealth of information out there for new VAs for which I am extremely grateful.

My question --What forms of payment do VAs normally (relative term here) accept? Do you hope that they will send you a check after you send them your invoice? Do you accept credit cards? If yes, how do you address the merchant fees?

I understand that I should definitely address being paid in my contract and I was wondering if I should also address what forms of payment I accept.

I would like to get your comments.

Sincerely,

Linda

My contract states I accept PayPal and credit cards through PayPal unless other arrangements are made in advance. I feel that merchant fees are part of doing business and I have taken that into account when setting my rates.

If a client asked, I wouldn't hesitate to accept money orders or cashier's checks. I might accept a business check, but only with a client I really knew. I probably won't accept a personal check.

Amanda

I have heard some comments about PayPal. What has been your experience?

Sincerely,

Linda

Like anything, there are horror stories. I personally haven't gotten burned, but it happens. I'm also not sending a high volume of transactions through yet - I think I've had one or two. I think once you get up to higher-dollar or higher volume transactions, you have to look at getting a "real" merchant account.

I have use paypal and credit cards via paypal. I do not accept checks unless they are business checks. I have been burned in the past.

Best of luck

Cathy

Reay Solutions

Guest virtualmissfriday

Hi Linda,

I have used PayPal now for 5 years without any issues, and working with clients from several countries in 3 base currencies, it does the job. I also accept bank transfer.

If you can integrate your PayPal account into an online invoicing service such as Freshbooks (freshbooks.com), the look and feel of your business can be very professional.

As a virtual service provider, try to stay as "virtual" as possible, by this I mean electronic, traceable transactions. Cheques are not a common form of payment these days, and most people can pay by credit card via a standard PayPal account.

I hope that helps :)

Michelle

Has anyone tried using alertpay? If yes, what are your thoughts about them? I might switch to alertpay because they charge lower transaction rates compared with paypal. Any input would be greatly appreciated.