Sign in to follow this  
Jerri G

Accounting and Timetracking softwar

What types of accounting and timetracking software is good? I know, that's a loaded question. I need something that will track my time on a project, deduct retainers, invoice, reporting etc. Is there an all-in-one? or do I have to use for example, Quickbooks for accounting and Time Logger for time keeping.

Jerri Goranson, CVEM, Virtual Business Assistant

Virtual Office Visions

jgvov@comcast.net

www.virtualofficevisions.com

Well, it depends. I used TraxTime the first few years of my business when it was just me. Then I switched to myhours.com when I got a team and needed something I could track on a more regular basis. A lot of people use the one built into QuickBooks with no problems. I'd say take a look at a few different ones and see which feels right for you.

Well, it depends. I used TraxTime the first few years of my business when it was just me. Then I switched to myhours.com when I got a team and needed something I could track on a more regular basis. A lot of people use the one built into QuickBooks with no problems. I'd say take a look at a few different ones and see which feels right for you.

Hi Candy,

I have taken a few for a test drive. I like Quickbooks and Freshbooks. We will see how they work for me. Would you know where I can get a generic contract and proposal. I have the VAC, but I want to know if I have other "free options".

Jerri Goranson, CVEM, Virtual Business Assistant

Virtual Office Visions

jgvov@comcast.net

www.virtualofficevisions.com

I'm an anomoly (shut up, everyone) in that I can't find a time tracking/project management program that I really, really like. So, I've created my own system: I track my time in an Excel spreadsheet every day, and then every other week either I or my bookkeeper transfers that to invoices/hour check-ins for the clients.

I used to hand-write my time on "time sheets" I got from the law firm I used to work for (long story/misprinted pads/too many ordered), but that got to be too much trouble. Now I just have to remind myself to open the Excel spreadsheet every day. Then I can just organize the spreadsheet by client name and make up the invoice that way.

I'm an anomoly (shut up, everyone) in that I can't find a time tracking/project management program that I really, really like. So, I've created my own system: I track my time in an Excel spreadsheet every day, and then every other week either I or my bookkeeper transfers that to invoices/hour check-ins for the clients.

I used to hand-write my time on "time sheets" I got from the law firm I used to work for (long story/misprinted pads/too many ordered), but that got to be too much trouble. Now I just have to remind myself to open the Excel spreadsheet every day. Then I can just organize the spreadsheet by client name and make up the invoice that way.

Dana,

I love working with Excel and think I would prefer that over the others (that I have yet to try). Do you have everything all on one sheet, or is one sheet for hours, one for pricing, and do you have separate sheets for each client?

Thanks,

Patty

Dana,

I love working with Excel and think I would prefer that over the others (that I have yet to try). Do you have everything all on one sheet, or is one sheet for hours, one for pricing, and do you have separate sheets for each client?

Thanks,

Patty

One spreadsheet has everything.

Column 1: Date

Column 2: Client

Column 3: Task Performed

Column 4: Total Hours

Column 5: Adjustment to total hours (like if I knock off some time for some reason)

Column 6: Adjusted total hours

Column 7: Expenses

I so a simple formula to add columns 4, 5 & 6

Then when I'm ready to give an update, I just sort the spreadsheet by client, copy the client, dump it into a new spreadsheet, and send it to the client after I add a line at the top that shows beginning hours, if necessary.

Hi Dana,

This seems like a good way to go without having to learn any new software. I'm definitely going to give it a try as it seems very user friendly and I do love my friend, Excel.

I thank you so much, and do hope you get to enjoy some of the weekend. We may be the only two on here this w/e. :whistlin:

Sincerely,

Patty

Dana,

Thanks,

Patty

One spreadsheet has everything.

Column 1: Date

Column 2: Client

Column 3: Task Performed

Column 4: Total Hours

Column 5: Adjustment to total hours (like if I knock off some time for some reason)

Column 6: Adjusted total hours

Column 7: Expenses

I so a simple formula to add columns 4, 5 & 6

Then when I'm ready to give an update, I just sort the spreadsheet by client, copy the client, dump it into a new spreadsheet, and send it to the client after I add a line at the top that shows beginning hours, if necessary.

Dana,

Do you mean to say you subtract 5 from 4 to get 6?

Where do you actually show what he's being charged?

Which expenses go into the Expenses column?

Thanks again,

Patty