Tawnya Sutherland

What is a Virtual Assistant (VA)?

A Virtual Assistant (VA) is a highly-skilled, independent professional who remotely provides administrative, technical or creative business support services.

Ok, I hear what you are saying Pam, and I also like the "OR" added in and would now like to hear a couple others agree on this new definition and then I will formally put it out there as our new VAnetworking.com's definition of a VA.

Who raises their hands in acceptance of this new definition? ;)

A Virtual Assistant (VA) is a highly-skilled, independent professional who remotely provides administrative, technical or creative business support services.

Ok, I hear what you are saying Pam, and I also like the "OR" added in and would now like to hear a couple others agree on this new definition and then I will formally put it out there as our new VAnetworking.com's definition of a VA.

I would simply add the word "and" ...

A Virtual Assistant (VA) is a highly-skilled, independent professional who remotely provides administrative, technical and/or creative business support services.

Some might argue that they do all three and others only one so we should make sure to keep everyone happy!!

I'm a little late to the game but I think this revision hits the nail on the head......direct and to the point.

I don't have a problem with VA. People are just beginning to understand more about VAs and what we do. I think changing the name to something else would cause more confusion. If we stick with that name and educate people, then maybe there wouldn't be this topic.

I don't have a problem with VA. People are just beginning to understand more about VAs and what we do. I think changing the name to something else would cause more confusion. If we stick with that name and educate people, then maybe there wouldn't be this topic.

Exactly! ;)

All of the above definitely says it all. I used to be ignorant about anything that involves being a VA. But now that I am one, I try my best to let everyone know how important our job is and how fulfilling it is to be doing what we do...Including my kids. They're basically the reason why I chose to work from home and enjoy the job I have now. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing, I've read some great and interesting thoughts here.

Anyway, though the profession is relatively new and definitions vary, virtual assistants provide managerial or other services from their own offices, over Internet, phone, or fax. Virtual assistants help you deal with the expanse and hassle of hiring an administrative assistant. Why? Because virtual assistants can take on the time-consuming, repetitive or just plain dull everyday tasks, thus, allowing you to focus on what matters most for your business. They have the skills of a secretary and vast knowledge in technology and it’s a great advantage. And since they’re contract workers, not employees, they can save small and mid size businesses time, money, and red tape. Life in the office is tedious at times, that you just want to take a break from your usual routine, to spend sometime with your family or friends.

Edited by infinityweb

A Virtual Assistant (VA) is a highly-trained independent professional that assists with business support services virtually.

Virtual Assistants consists of individuals as well as companies who work remotely as an independent professional, providing a wide range of products and services both to businesses as well as consumers.