Sign in to follow this  
Guest Glenn

Honest Opinions/Advice Please

Guest Glenn

Hello All,

I'm looking for input/advice from all of you web site design & Wordpress gurus.

I am by no means a web site designer. I've always managed to know just enough to get by. I do often help my clients with content or give advice re. ways to make their site more readable or make it easier to navigate. Web site design is not something I advertise as part of my skillset when talking with clients, but occasionally I'll throw my hat in the ring for a special client. This is where I'm at so far:

http://www.theartofjorgegarza.com/

I started with the "Mansion" theme and really pared it down to something very minimalistic. I thought my client would be best served by a site that focuses attention on his artwork...not on the web site itself.

So...what are your thought and thanks in advance for sharing your expertise!

-Glenn

Guest Glenn

I love it, Glenn. If at all possible, I would just make the artwork and the artist's picture little larger.

Patty P

Thank you for your insight, Patty. Excellent ideas. :)

-G

Also can you move the stuff in the center column up and make the content of the pages (again the center column) wider? It seems a bit disjointed to me right although the style works really well for an artist.

Jodie "some people we envy.some people we love.some people we wish would get crushed by a cinder block falling from above" Burdette

Guest Glenn

Also can you move the stuff in the center column up and make the content of the pages (again the center column) wider? It seems a bit disjointed to me right although the style works really well for an artist.

Jodie "some people we envy.some people we love.some people we wish would get crushed by a cinder block falling from above" Burdette

Move contents in column up and make wider....check! Thank you, Jodie.

-G

Guest Glenn

Ditto. Love that you focus on the art work and minimal words. The art should speak for itself.

Thank you, Dana. I was expecting a bit more of a "hard-ass" approach from you though...LOL ;)

-G

Looks good Glenn. One thing I don't like though is when I click on the piece of art in the middle of the home page, it takes me to a new window with the exact same picture of art. If the image isn't going to be bigger to view more detail then just remove the hyperlink as it really doesn't do anything but take you offsite.

vainsiders.jpg
Get your first month for $7 using coupon code: TRYFOR7

Guest Glenn

Looks good Glenn. One thing I don't like though is when I click on the piece of art in the middle of the home page, it takes me to a new window with the exact same picture of art. If the image isn't going to be bigger to view more detail then just remove the hyperlink as it really doesn't do anything but take you offsite.

Great advice, Tawnya. I wasn't particularly pleased about that click-through either. No more embedded link on images...unless I find a better way to display them on the click-through.

Check!

Thanks so much for your time!

-G

Edited by Glenn

This is just a personal preference, but I'd add some vertical spacing on the links in the left sidebar. IMHO, they're too close together and look crowded. My eye was drawn there first instead of the artwork. If you space them out (maybe add some top/bottom padding to your <li> element (I'm assuming without looking at the code that it is laid out using an unordered list). I think that would take the focus off the sidebar and put it back on the artwork, at least for me.

Guest Glenn

This is just a personal preference, but I'd add some vertical spacing on the links in the left sidebar. IMHO, they're too close together and look crowded. My eye was drawn there first instead of the artwork. If you space them out (maybe add some top/bottom padding to your <li> element (I'm assuming without looking at the code that it is laid out using an unordered list). I think that would take the focus off the sidebar and put it back on the artwork, at least for me.

Nice. That's exactly the sort of input I'm looking for, Amanda. Thank you so much.

-G

I would also make the sidebar with the links wider, so that the gallery links don't wrap. Ideally, they should all be on a single line.

Guest Glenn

I would also make the sidebar with the links wider, so that the gallery links don't wrap. Ideally, they should all be on a single line.

Hmmmmm...I wonder if that's a browser specific issue? What browser are you using? I'm not seeing any links wrapping in IE9, Chrome 6 or Firefox 3.6.

Thanks for the help, PLS.

It's Firefox, on a Mac. I don't see the issue in FF on a Windows computer, but the fonts are a little heavier on my Mac, so they take up more horizontal space. Just a small addition to the width of the sidebar would take care of it.

Guest Glenn

It's Firefox, on a Mac. I don't see the issue in FF on a Windows computer, but the fonts are a little heavier on my Mac, so they take up more horizontal space. Just a small addition to the width of the sidebar would take care of it.

I increased the sidebar width by 15px. Hopefully that will remedy the wrapping issue for most everybody. Thank you again for your assistance.

-G