Sign in to follow this  

Paying Employees in QuickBooks

Hello everyone,

I have a client who uses QuickBooks. He would like to be able to keep track of tax information for employees and be able to print the check with the information listed on the bottom of the check stub. Is there a way to do this without signing up for the QuickBooks Payroll Services? I'm assuming it would have to be done manually.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

Simone

Yes, this can be done manually, but it takes much longer. You would need to have Publication 15 (Circular E -Employer's Tax Guide) from the IRS, your State and/or local tax guides. Then you would have to look up all the information manually and input it for each paycheck. You would also have to make sure that you keep abreast of changes in the tax law that affected payroll. Not only that, but you would need to double check all your social security and medicare amounts that you would have to calculate manually (for both employee and employer); double check your state and federal withholding amounts for each paycheck. You would also have to remember to calculate remaining employer contributions also, such as unemployment (state/federal/local).

Why anyone who want to do it manually when Quickbooks Payroll Services does it much faster and keeps you updated on changes from the IRS. The Payroll Services also sends you the IRS forms for 940 and 941 so that you can just prepare the report for review and printing.

You may want to give your client an idea of how much time it would take to create an employee's paycheck manually vs. Quickbooks Payroll Services. You can get this with only the Federal information, which is less expensive. Don't forget that Quickbooks Payroll Services sends you the correct 941 & 940 forms so you can create these quarterly and annually forms in a matter of seconds.

When he sees how much it would cost to perform this manually, he should be a convert.

I have to agree with Candy and Linda, considering the penalties if something is calculated incorrectly the fee for QB Payroll service is really worth it. I've done payroll for close to 15 years, even managed a payroll company at one point, and wouldn't consider doing payroll by hand.

Lanel

I would have to agree that just buying the payroll aspect would be so much simpler in the program...less work and would save them lots of time.

Candy :lol: