rocnred

Smartphone Apps

As we move forward through technology, smartphones are becoming more important to people on the go. Me included. 1 year ago I bought my first smartphone and immediately fell in love with it. I am not only virtual, but extremely mobile. I love my Ferrari laptop but sometimes firing up a laptop to check some passwords, look at a PDF, trying to remember some protocols for some technical issues, or just checking my email & responding to clients in an orderly fashion seems like a bit of overkill.

After a year with my Android, I decided to upgrade. I recently just bought a G2 phone and my life is complete. I have also started developing apps for Android since it is open source. I created my first app and it was awesome. So the question is...what are your 3 favorite apps?

Please list what phone and what OS. 'cuz not all apps work on all phones/OS's.

HTC G2 Android 2.2

1. Taskos - a voice command note taker. Just speak into the phone and it converts speech-to-text and puts in in your To-Do list. (free)

2. QIK - live video streaming. I can email or text people with a link that they can watch my video live as I record. Helpful when I am on a job site and need to convey a scenario that pictures just cannot provide. My tech support guys love it. It is in real time, looks great, and is fast. (free)

3. Easy Tether Pro - Tethering is easy on Android. Just plug in and I have 4G wireless internet on my laptop no matter where I am. And it does not cost me anymore on my data plan. (free, but if you need to access secure sites, it is $9.99. I bought it 'cuz I need to access to secure sites plus it is just awesome and worth $10)

4. Quick Office 6 - Able to view create, edit, and view PDF, Word, Excel, Powerpoint files. (free)

5. Shop Savvy - Barcode scanner. gives me prices in my area with directions, phone numbers, etc., reviews, and online prices with the option to purchase.

Share with us some of your favs. :thumbup: PLEEEZ......no "My phone can beat up your phone" stuff :angry: . Just share with others so we can download the apps. There are so many apps, it is good to share with others.

I look forward to the comments that you will be getting on this. I have resisted the "Smartphone" but probably will have to bite the bullet and get one [okay, so my husband and both daughters already have them and can't live without them.]

What I really want to know is "you carry a purse"? Doesn't that clash with your "Ferrari" (oh! maybe it's a Ferrari purse).

Ok...here goes! I'm an iPhone lover (sorry Brent!) I'd love to have an iphone app for VAnetworking, maybe one day. Actually we do have an app for the forum if you want to download it:

Invision Board App - http://www.invisionpower.com/suite/iphone

I love Hootsuite App too! I actually upgraded to pro version...love it for Twitter use. Brent they have an app for Android too...maybe you'd get more use out of Twitter on your mobile ;)http://hootsuite.com/apps

I have my Calorie Count app on here to so I can rid of this secretary spread happening! http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/mobile.php

Those are the top three I'm using this week...I'm sure there will be different ones next week.

Tawnya

I just got an Evo on Friday, so I'm still figuring all the cool stuff out.

For twitter, I'm using Seesmic which seems to be working well. Gtalk and Gmail work flawlessly (LOVE that I can do labels and archive and all that stuff right from the phone). Shop Savvy is nice too.

Swype isn't available for the Evo, but I'm using SlideIT Keyboard and it's fabulous.

Haven't used, but on my list to check out: dropbox, skype and now hootsuite, although I'll probably stick with seemic.

Fave games so far are WordWise (I'm candytx@gmail.com - I'll play with you! LOL) and Traffic Jam. Great toy is Google Sky Map.

And, of course.... the kindle app :)

I just got an Evo on Friday, so I'm still figuring all the cool stuff out.

Ahh....I am totally shocked. I know you were so stoked about getting the Palm Pre when it came out. :yay: I see the Pre 2 is right around the corner. What happened? By the way, the EVO is an awesome phone. I was seriously thinking about that phone for my next purchase. Still can't believe you jumped the Palm ship.. :o (HP is going to save 'em :unsure:)

Swype is awesome, I had it on my Omnia II and loved it, but I missed a physical keyboard. Even though I found my Omnia II (after I bought and activated a BB 8703e), I still haven't switched back because I like having a keyboard too much. Only problem is the 8703e is so old that most apps don't play nice with it :(. I'm eligible for a new phone in a few months, so I'll probably just stick it out and then move to a BB Curve or something - we'll see what's available then. I like the look of the BB Torch, but I'm not a big fan of the slider, so I'd have to play with it.

Candy - is the EVO on WinMo or Android?

Nevermind, amazing what you can find out with google...

Ahh....I am totally shocked. I know you were so stoked about getting the Palm Pre when it came out. :yay: I see the Pre 2 is right around the corner. What happened? By the way, the EVO is an awesome phone. I was seriously thinking about that phone for my next purchase. Still can't believe you jumped the Palm ship.. :o (HP is going to save 'em :unsure:)

I still love WebOS, but the problem is that they really aren't developing it like I think they should. Apps are pretty thin. What they have is generally useful, but I wanted/needed a little more oomph. Some if it was little (for instance, when replying using my gmail, it would always say from my gmail.com address and not who it was addressed to). Other were larger (promising flash and not delivering - even though no one else really has it - was kinda big).

HP taking them over wasn't bad, but wasn't exactly good. At the end of the day, my phone was getting sluggish and I opted to not get a new one after a factory reset didn't do anything. My Evo is FAST on opening and closing, the email alone is a huge step up and let's face it I use email a lot.

I'm still struggling a bit with the lack of physical keyboard. I've always had one (well, we had graffiti back in the Visor days). I'm picking up the slide/swype thing pretty quickly. SO much better than the iphone's pecking thing - I have an iPod Touch too.

My kid's have the Pre phones now. We turned off the cell service, make sure wifi was working and now my daughter uses Pandora and takes photos and my son uses his to play as much Angry Birds as he can handle. LOL

But yeah... I've been a Palm Girl for FOREVER, so it was a tough decision, but I've outgrown what Palm seems to want to offer.

I got a Samsung Fascinate Android a couple weeks ago and love it.

I really love the Yelp application -- Monocle is SO cool.

I like HootSuite and love the gmail interface -- seriously, the gmail interface was the reason I switched from BB to Android and I'm VERY glad I did.

I also LOVE WordWise. (lanelt@gmail.com if you wanna play :) LOL)

Also love the google reader app.

Still getting used to the Facebook app, it looks good but is different from the BB app so it's taking me a bit to get used to.

I haven't taken the time to look for more. But, I really need to find a good task app, I really, really wish there was a ManyMoon app. :(

Guest aplusadmin

I grabbed the iPhone earlier this year and totally love it. It wasn't my first choice, but husband said to get it.

As for apps I use:

Hootsuite, I use all the time but I did download TweetDeck just to have the knowledge etc.

LinkedIn - very difficult to use

Tungle

YPmobile - love this...I've used it primarily for personal use for finding a phone and location, but you never know could be helpful for locating a networking event if you are lost.

Calorie Counter

Mashable

Foursquare

and MUCH MUCH more...some are personal use: Virginia is for Lovers app (pretty neat) and NBC12 (local station), Starbucks, Redlaser, Nook, Borders

I would love to find a good time clock because I do have a few local clients I go to. Any suggestions???

Well I created my first app for my Android phone. (Actually it was my 3rd, but the other 2 were like Frankenstein's earlier endeavors). I wanted an app to send automated text messages back to people who text me while I am driving. That way they know I received their text, and I did not have to text and drive. I get a lot of texts while I drive and I do not like to text/talk while I drive. (the last thing I want to do is crash the Ferrari while I was texting)

So here it is. If you like it and would like one of your own, I can implement your logo into the app just like I did on mine. (not really my logo, but you know what I mean) I can even made a mock-up VA Networking one.

Android only

screenshot1.jpg?psid=1CalifDrivingURI.apk.png?psid=1

Brent

I really like that idea! You will definitely have a market with parents who have teenagers that are in high school and/or college. I would also say my husband, but when he texts he just says "Text (person's name) (message) send" or something like that. He doesn't use a keypad, my daughters just say he cheats! LOL

I'm with Patty, when I get a SmartPhone I will be contacting you.

Brent,

How does it know you're driving?

Because I setup the accelerometer to acknowledge the presence of doing 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds. B)

But for all others they must go into apps and just turn it on. Just make sure you hit the menu button to close the app when you are at your destination. ;)

Brent,

How does it know you're driving?

Because I setup the accelerometer to acknowledge the presence of doing 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds. B)

But for all others they must go into apps and just turn it on. Just make sure you hit the menu button to close the app when you are at your destination. ;)

Brent - is your text autoreply app still available? Is it in the Android Market?

ka