Sign in to follow this  
Guest aplusadmin

Graphic Design Software

Guest aplusadmin

Hello everyone,

I had a great design software years ago on my old laptop and now I can't find a newer version of it since it is no longer made and will not work on my newer computer. I'm hoping you all can guide me on a new graphic design software that is very simple to learn.

THANKS!

Well, it depends on what you are designing. For professional design, I use use Illustrator to create vector artwork, InDesign for any kind of page layout, whether it be a flyer, postcard, brochure or a book. if you are sending design work off to a professional printer, you need to have professional design tools. For web design work I use Photoshop. These are by no means cheap and have quite a steep learning curve. there are free alternatives to some of them; Gimp and others - no idea how easy or not they are to learn.

if you are just designing for desktop printers, you can get by using Microsoft products, Word and Publisher, which now have pretty cool graphics capability.

Hope that helps.

Guest aplusadmin

Thank you, Yvonne!

I believe Illustrator is my best bet. I guess I should have been more specific on what I am seeking. I love designing logos, banners and more and that software by Microsoft was AWESOME, but they no longer have it online to download and the new software I got lost trying to figure it all out.

I do love Publisher, but for making such things I can't get the hang of it on here. LOL

Thanks again!

Publisher is not design software, it is desktop publishing software :). Illustrator and Photoshop are the industry standards, you use Illustrator to create vector artwork that can be resized as small or as large as you need without any loss of quality. You use Photoshop to create "raster" artwork for a fixed size. Resizing raster artwork almost always results in some loss of quality, although going smaller won't hurt as much as going larger.

Both programs have free open-source alternatives. Those are Inkscape (Illustrator) and Gimp or GimpShop or GimPhoto (all forks of the same project, for Photoshop). I have used these, they do the job but can be harder to use and the learning curve is higher. BUT considering the cost of Photoshop and Illustrator, might be worth it. I choose to use Photoshop and Illustrator and pay the high cost because they're clearly superior products.

Adobe also offers a "stripped-down" version of Photoshop, called Photoshop Elements, for about $100 that is a terrific buy, and should work well for your needs unless you're a professional designer (in which case you just need to bite the bullet and buy professional software). Sadly, they do not yet offer an Elements version of Illustrator.

Edit: And, agreed with yesago, I use Photoshop and Illustrator together. Illustrator for logos and such, and the Photoshop for layout and design of web graphics, etc.

We use Photoshop for Image enhancement, Posters, Calling Card

Correl and Illustrator for Vector works like Logos

Photoscape for Batch Resizing of Photos for Web

Picasa for Fast photo enhancing

Filezilla for uploading photos to web

Frontpage for enhancement of HTML

Wordpress for our Blogs

Joomla for Website

Magento for shopping cart

and the lists goes on...