kimmer

contact links and PDF's

Does anyone else find this truly annoying??!!

When your at a site and click on the "contact" link and your eMail program pops up!! AArrggggg...When I click on a "contact" link I expect to be taken to information on how to contact you!!

And....lol...when you click on an info link of some sort and automatically a PDF starts downloading!! People should put an indication that you will be downloading a PDF and give you the option or not!!! fork_off.gif

kimmer cool.gif

Hi Kimmer:

Well, that is actually an industry standard on how things operate. wink.gif I have just gotten use to it. On my pages, I do encrypt the e-mail addresses, so the link will say something like Naomi's e-mail. I do try to encourage my clients to have a contact page. A contact page makes it easy to have all the information in one area; however, most people are use to contacting by e-mail, rather than by phone.

PDFs are a fact of life. If a person wants to get something up on the website quick, that has a lot of information, it is much easier to put it up as a PDF, rather than recreating it. Also, depending on the information, a PDF is far more condusive to printing in a controlled format, than printing from the Internet.

The only thing good about having your email program pop up or saying Pam's Email is it helps keep your email address a bit private - though people would still be able to find out what it is, for novice users it makes it that much more difficult for them... I personally like that you send it from your email program, that means it is your signature being sent and you have record in your sent items of when it was sent...

PDF's I do personally like them - though they are slow... yes it would be nice if the link said Download PDF then you know and can plan if you want to download it now or later...

I should have made myself more clear..

What I meant was that when you go to a site and in the "navigational" area, you click on what you think is a contact page, but actually it brings up your email program automatically. Here's a site that does this...if you click on the contact link in the top navigation it doesn't bring you to a page where I would expect to find out where they are located, their phone number, email addy, etc, my email program automatically comes up, I just find this sooo annoying!! wacko.gif

http://easyscratchoffs.com

And for PDF's....if the webmaster would put a PDF icon beside the link to let you know that once clicked, your not going to a page but that a PDF will automatically be downloaded! PDF's are a great tool and when I put a link on a website, say...."class schedule"...I would put text or a PDF icon there to alert the visitor that you will be downloading a PDF, not just going to a page with this info. I would just like to be aware that when I click on a link that a PDF will commence downloading.

kimmer

Looks like a lot of what I was going to say has already been said. However, I will add that it doesn't bother me to have my email program open up when a contact link is accessed. I assume that I will be contacted, and if not, I wouldn't want to do business with them or know anything further anyway. At least in an email I can explain myself and my questions better than in a contact form AND I can show my signature, tag line, and my marketing blurb, etc. (another opportunity for indirect marketing).

I've also never been bothered by PDFs; if I want to print the information, I'm assured that it'll print as shown and won't run off the pages as some web site pages do. I have many PDF links on my web site and wouldn't want to have to state on every link that it is a PDF. I admit that it does take longer to bring up the Adobe Reader everytime, but I think it's worth it.

Naomi, your comment about encrypting your email address was interesting. I put my web site email address out there because my web site is *private* (no one can find me through my web site). My web site email address is forwarded to my *regular* email address. I just have to make sure that when replying, I select the same (from) email address/personality to maintain that privacy.

Sounds like Kimmer is just flaming her frustrations with a silly site. Thats allowed. Try a Rum and Eggnog - No more frustration!

The absence of 'rules and regulations' on the net is refreshing and is exactly what I like about it.

Therese

Hi Terry:

Glad to see you over here. smile.gif If you have your e-mail address on your website, spammers with harvesting software can pick up your e-mail address and forward all the spam in the world to you. smile.gif If I understand what you said correctly, even if your e-mail address is on the website, and forwarded to an address that no one knows about, the spam will still come through.

By encrypting your e-mail address, which means a program comes up with numbers or letters only for your address, with no @ sign, then the harvesting software cannot pick it up. The software I use all the time is Enkoderform. Once you enter the information, you will be given a javascript to put on your website. You could have a link that says Send Terry MacRae Email. (The actual script is numbers and letters.) When the individual clicks on the link, his or her e-mail client will open with your actual e-mail address (the one you entered to be encrypted).

As an example, you could encrypt your website email address, have the link Send Terry MacRae Email on your site, then it operates as you normally have it, it would forward to your actual e-mail address.

Hope this helps in explaining it a little further. smile.gif

Of course, the absolute safest is not to have your e-mail address on the site at all, and just use forms. I, like you, prefer having a link to my e-mail address, more people have a tendency to click on it. ( laugh.gif Someone somewhere will eventually come up with a piece of software that will unencrypt encrypted software.)

Guest Viv

I think I know exactly what you are talking about and it drives me nuts too. For example, I was given the name of this company to do transcription. Its been great, and as far as I know legit. However, they are in England and I wanted to know WHERE in England they were just out of curiosity I guess and for future knowledge. I clicked on the "CONTACT INFORMATION" link where I expected to find address, city name, etc. and bammo I'm sent to their email link so I can apparently email them my question. Well, I didn't want to send an email with ridiculous questions that take up their time so I still don't have a clue where in England they are located. Its just one of those annoyances I guess, but I'm with you Kimmer, if the link suggests there is "INFO" and not just "Contact me" kind of stuff, I expect INFORMATION about various ways I can contact.

The other thing about PDF -that's just one of those things I always blame my computer for. Sometimes when I'm faced with a PDF, my laptop will freeze and then I really get ticked. However, usually its just one of those things!