Get It Done Guru

Networking & Burning Bridges

Hi there,

I'd like to ask your opinion in terms of networking and NOT burning bridges...

Here we go..

1) I'm currently working a client who requires me 40hrs per week.. I just got assigned project leader overseeing the contractors, but I still work this contract position as if they are one of my many clients. [i'm a 1099 etc] I also got word today that there isn't enough funds to keep all 4 contractors, and I'm in line to 'STAY' because of my great work. [yay] Additionally, "off-off-off the record" the current contracting company's Administrator told me that my business idea/goals [to work as a Virtual Asst] is something they'd be VERY interested in so that THEY could focus on Sales and Marketing, and this would be likely early next year.

On the flip side, while underemployed [working this contract/client among others] I've continued sending out my resume to obtain a secure fixed income, and I interviewed for a TREMENDOUS opportunity yesterday/Monday. They said in the interview that they should decide by early next week, and no further interviews would be needed. So, TODAY the folks who said "no more interviews needed", want me to have an 1-on-1 with my potential boss to "discuss his expectations" and to give me a 'tour of the workspace & department'. Of course, this SOUNDS promising, it SOUNDS like they may be leaning towards offering me the job. And if so, I'd be required to start before Thanksgiving. Just so you know..

So my question--

If by chance I was offered a position with BENEFITS.. I'd JUMP so high.. you have no idea.. lol

BUT I want to keep my current contracting company as a potential FUTURE network so they could use my services when the office administrator decides to be the Sales Director.. [small small company]

Is there a way to "nicely leave" a contract, with a recommendaiton for my replacement -AND- come back around in Jan/Feb and inform the company I left of how my services could be of assistance to their company in terms of having the company as MY client.. and I'd do their books and administrative stuff virtually.

MY BOTTOM LINE

Ideally, I want to leave my 8 mo contract, take a new permanent FT gig, recommend my replacement for the current 8 mo contract and also be able to recommend my business as a future partner for the office administrator who secretly told me she'd wish she could solely focus on S&M..

Now.. YOUR THOUGHTS??

and if all of this is null and void, and nothing happens.. well at least I know how to approach the next opportunity.

Thanks much for your input, I appreciate it!

Sincerely,

The Get It Done Guru

Randa Lee

MY BOTTOM LINE

Ideally, I want to leave my 8 mo contract, take a new permanent FT gig, recommend my replacement for the current 8 mo contract and also be able to recommend my business as a future partner for the office administrator who secretly told me she'd wish she could solely focus on S&M..

Now.. YOUR THOUGHTS??

Would you have extra hours (outside your FT gig) to project management a replacement (who you outsource through you business) If yes, then it is feasible to do both.

Yes.. pure genius Tawnya!!

So I want to hire the contractor I know will be laid off this week to represents me & my company in the same contract and fulfill the obligations of the contract. I'll be able to pay them out of the money from your contract. So I'll get to keep the contract and branch out while maintaining another job if necessary.

If it doesn't work out that way and they wont sustain the contract unless I do the work, I would politely walk away (as I have a backup plan--the other secured job) but I want to keep the option open.

If that happens, I'd need to employ serious marketing strategies to keep my name in their head so that they remember the quality of my work when you're not around. I want them to use my business in the future, but I don't want to have to compete, especially since I've held the contract before.

Lastly, my dilemma now is knowing this contractor is going to be let go, and asking her to come work for me as a rep of my business, doing the same work, same rate of pay, etc. The only hang up is that I know she is looking for something permanent with benefits, and I'm only able to offer her this job, in addition to resume assistance, and career searches while she works this contract for me.

Sounds like a big bite.. but it could be the beginning of wonderful working relationship with a client!

I WANT IT ALL!

Edited by Get It Done Guru

Did you really mean S&M? Social Media?

You can only make your plan and your pitch as a business decision and let others make business decisions about themselves and you.

Did you really mean S&M? Social Media?

You can only make your plan and your pitch as a business decision and let others make business decisions about themselves and you.

Hi Judy..

I meant.. Sales and Marketing.. guess one can never be too clear.. oopsie!

I agree, I will make a business pitch once all the cards are laid down [once I have secured the other contract, and the person I want to hire as my representative has been "officially" let go from their current contract. I guess I'm a bit excited to see the potential!