Hello, I hope everyone is in for a fantastic week -- I've been in full throttle. My question is -- do any of you use Dropbox or another sort of file transfer system to send files to clients? Since Dropbox claims to encrypt files, is that a better choice than simply uploading or downloading files to and fro? And how long is an acceptable time to keep files before you delete them from a back-up system? My problem is that I tend to save things for way too long. I guess I'm a pack rat :blink:

I have used Dropbox with clients. One loved it, he had no idea. I kept hinting around and finally just took over and set up an account for him.

I am like you, I keep things and keep them and keep them. I guess every person has to decide for themselves how long to keep something. Work it out with the client.

Dropbox is an easy, virtually flawless way to transfer files between clients. I highly recommended it. If you use a referral link, then you will get an extra 250mb of space. Get Dropbox here :thumbup:

FPT or I think you mean FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is usually for techies, and is a bit difficult to setup. Dropbox is the best. I use it all the time. I use FTP also but I find it is not for everybody. Even for the EU it can be difficult to understand. :blink:

And yes you should keep files as long as you think you need them. There is no rule for what is important to you. So..... if you are a "Pack Rat", then me telling you to get rid of something will not do anything. Have you ever seen the TV show "Hoarders"? :unsure:

Thanks, guys. I've been trying to figure out the FTP thing. I had used it when I used to contract with transcription companies. It seemed really easy to use, but now that I'm setting it up myself -- not so easy. I'm making a trip to my local library to check out the "for dummies" on file transfers. I just want the quickest, safest, and easiest to use for my clients (which I don't have any yet but hope to have very soon :yay: ) Dropbox does seem really easy -- I guess I'll leave it up to the clients how they prefer receiving/sending their confidential files.

Edited by Patty@eXPERTSupport

Confidentiality is kind of relative. The best thing to do there is make the transfer and get it off of Dropbox if they don't feel dropbox is secure. Sharing is possible, but can be restricted to specific files.

It's a no brainer for clients. The other possibility is using YouSendIt. Those files are available for a short period of time after the initial send.

Thank you, everyone. There are just so many if's, what's, this's, and that's -- I think I have just been getting so ahead of myself. I'm just one of those people that likes to have everything in place and not be in panic mode at the last minute. (Yeah, good luck with that, right?) ;)

Sendspace is a great one too. You can also setup your own FTP server as well - which is an investment & not worth it unless you are transferring huge files (like CAD files to an architecture firm).

I use Dropbox, Google Drive and/or YouSendIt for file sharing/sending.

I also use FTP - all the time!

Here's a couple videos I have on YouTube showing you how to setup the Filezilla FTP client:

Secure FTP setup:

Non-Secure FTP:

FTP Tip: if you're uploading a lot of files, like transferring an entire site or something similar - a non-secure/regular FTP connection will time-out at 2,000 files. So all of your files will not be uploaded!!

Secure FTP does not have a file limit.

Obviously one should try to use secure FTP whenever possible, but connecting to some hosts via secure FTP isn't easy or possible.