Patty@eXPERTSupport

Poll for my bolg, please

Hello, everyone. I hope your Holiday Season was a beautiful one. I see the season is still in full swing here. I love it. I actually took down my tree today . . . It's always a sad day :( .

But on to my question. I recently was in a discussion in regard to resumes (or a professional summary), specifically for business owners and if we (as business owners) use a resume and supply a potential client with one if asked.

My opinion is that a resume can be useful to share with a potential client so that they can see your past accomplishments, experiences, etc. I don't feel it needs to reflect an idea that because you supply someone with a resume, that you are in a way "applying" for a job. I think a great resume can enhance a business owner's professionalism -- but that's just my opinion, and I would love others' thoughts on this.

My February blog will be discussing this topic, and it would be so helpful to have opinions from other VAs and other business owners. I have started to already see there are a lot of different opinions on the subject, and I think it can be quite interesting to blog about :yay: . . . hopefully!

I hope to see what you all think, and thank you so much for taking the time to submit your poll (or opinion).

Edited by Patty@eXPERTSupport

Patty

It's interesting that you should ask that question. Just the other a friend of mine asked me if I provided a resume to clients and I told her that I didn't. She asked me if I would be offended if a client asked for my resume and although I had to think about it for a few minutes, my answer was ultimately No. My credentials are a reflection of me, what skills I possess and the experience that I have to offer. If I am asked, in the future, to provide a resume, I would have to really think whether or not it would be pertinent. I would definitely provide the potential client with a list of referrals if that would help the client to make a decision on whether or not to use my services.

Thank you, Brenda, for your reply. I will let you know the overall opinion.

:thumbup:

Patty

It's interesting that you should ask that question. Just the other a friend of mine asked me if I provided a resume to clients and I told her that I didn't. She asked me if I would be offended if a client asked for my resume and although I had to think about it for a few minutes, my answer was ultimately No. My credentials are a reflection of me, what skills I possess and the experience that I have to offer. If I am asked, in the future, to provide a resume, I would have to really think whether or not it would be pertinent. I would definitely provide the potential client with a list of referrals if that would help the client to make a decision on whether or not to use my services.

I think of it this way....Would myself or someone else ask for a resume from a plumber, electrician, etc.? No. They are small business owners just like us. If someone wants to see examples of my work or see testimonials from clients, they can ask for that. I don't provide resumes.

I agree with Patty and Kathy - no resumes. A VA is a professional service provider along the same lines as an attorney or an accountant. Nobody would ever think of asking those service providers for a resume, so why should they ask us? I provide plenty of information without going into the level of detail a resume implies. My company information includes info about my background and education - as it typically does for any professional service provider.

As for being "offended" if asked for a resume - I wouldn't be. I would look at it as an opportunity to educate a potential client about what a VA is. And if they were insistent on the resume thing after that - not the client for me.

What excellent responses from everyone! Thank you for commenting -- I feel each response will add so much credibility when I write about this subject in my next blog attempt :thumbup: . I am a stickler for facts!

Thank you again for taking the time to comment.

Edited by Patty@eXPERTSupport

Patty

I have to agree with Kathy, Amanda & Patty D as regards to resumes.

If a potential client wants a resume, then they probably do not understand the concept of a Virtual Assistant. As was stated earlier, this is where I explain the difference between an employee and an independent contractor. If they still want a resume, like Amanda stated, I really don't want them as a client.

Thank you so much for joining in on my little "poll." I have got great answers and am now on my way to blogging.

I'm a little biased on the resume issue (since it is one service I'm thinking of providing) :thumbup: I agree wholeheartedly -- there is a time and a place for a resume. But as you will read in my blog (hopefully you will read my blog :blush: ), let's not put those resumes away yet :)

Again, thank you for taking the time to give me your opinions!