Brenda F

Grant Writing

I have a client who wants to purchase an existing business and is asking me to help her write a Grant for funding. I don't have a problem with helping my client write the grant, however, I am clueless when it comes to who and how to find those people/organizations that would potentially fund my client in purchasing this existing business. My client prefer's to find funding versus traditional lending. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Hi Brenda,

Checking the regional funding library in your client's region will yield the best sources for grants even moreso than an internet search. Many Foundations do not have websites but have extensive philanthropic budgets.

When considering applying for a grant be sure to research the type of grant as all are not equal. Some do get repaid if the conditions of the grant aren't fully satisified.

Best of luck in your grant writing ventures,

~Ruth

PS: A tip, should the client inquire to determine your fee based on the being awarded the grant, don't take the client on or an offer to compensate you a portion of the grant money (some grants permit this while others do not --research). Grant writers can't guarantee acceptance of a grant and you will put in many hours researching and writing a grant.

Hi Brenda,

Checking the regional funding library in your client's region will yield the best sources for grants even moreso than an internet search. Many Foundations do not have websites but have extensive philanthropic budgets.

When considering applying for a grant be sure to research the type of grant as all are not equal. Some do get repaid if the conditions of the grant aren't fully satisified.

Best of luck in your grant writing ventures,

~Ruth

PS: A tip, should the client inquire to determine your fee based on the being awarded the grant, don't take the client on or an offer to compensate you a portion of the grant money (some grants permit this while others do not --research). Grant writers can't guarantee acceptance of a grant and you will put in many hours researching and writing a grant.