25thhourassistants

My goal: 40 retainer hours in the next 60 days!

Amanda

I have to agree with Dana on that one. I decided to purchase one when one of my meeting places, Barnes & Noble on a downtown college campus, only allowed wifi for students, teachers, or someone affiliated with the university. I decided that I didn't want to be caught without wifi again. I have also used it when I needed to get work done and was not in the office, but had my laptop. [Although my husband considers it a frivolous expense. That's a whole different conversation. LOL]

Its a business expense. I put aside 7% of my gross (after tax) income for "business expenses". That money is for things like the air card, conferences, association fees, etc. Of that, I'm also trying to save some to buy either an iPad or a Samsung Tab. They're both about the same price, and I think it would be a good investment for me. Easy to travel with ... yeah, that's the story I'm sticking to.

I actually would have paid for the hotel wifi, but my father-in-law was paying for the room and they wouldn't let me pay for the wifi separately - they said it had to go on the room. Plus, I probably COULD have walked the 5 blocks to another Starbucks that I know has power outlets at every table in the place, but it was 6 degrees outside and the one without the power outlets was across the street from the hotel, lol. But yeah, I've said I need to look into something like that (or switch from the Blackberry back to my Omnia II and then hack it so I can use it as a wifi hotspot without Verizon charging me $30 a month for "tethering" on top of my $30 a month data plan).

The air card sounds like something you don't use perpetually or by the month. I had a Verizon card that was actually a little wifi on its own capable of running 5 connections. It was about $70/mo for 5 gigs. They said watching movies would use that pretty fast. I used it for one trip and sent it back. Had to pay for the time I used and restocking fee. Not cheap, but met the needs. I wasn't savvy enough to ask for an air card, it seems. It worked fine, but we can get dsl at our house for less and use unlimited bandwidth. I couldn't justify both.

Hi Amanda, just checking in on your progress, would love to hear an update.

Jodie

Jodie,

Since I originally posted this, my life has changed a lot. I lost my full-time job, which forced me to really get serious about my business. My business has changed somewhat as I'm now doing mostly Wordpress work, and not a whole lot of "VA" work. So I don't have my 40 retainer hours, but I do have a decent amount of business.

Jodie

Jodie,

Since I originally posted this, my life has changed a lot. I lost my full-time job, which forced me to really get serious about my business. My business has changed somewhat as I'm now doing mostly Wordpress work, and not a whole lot of "VA" work. So I don't have my 40 retainer hours, but I do have a decent amount of business.

And it's just going to keep getting better and better. :)

Jodie

Jodie,

And it's just going to keep getting better and better. :)

Yes, it is. I have no doubt of that. My fabulous friends/mentors here will kick my butt if it doesn't. :)