dianna@thetruckingva.com

Tax question

Hey fellow VA's

As we all know its tax time for some of us :) so my question is do you pay yourself in your accounting system? I have quickbooks and I am not a quickbooks expert LOL so I am not sure how I would enter paying myself, I didnt think it would go under employee payroll, right? If any one has any tips and tricks let me know.

Dianna

It would depend on how your business was set up. You could be paid either by taking distributions or by receiving a salary from your business. This is something that you will probably want to discuss with an accountant.

As we all know its tax time for some of us :) so my question is do you pay yourself in your accounting system?

Generally speaking, Dianna, your payments to yourself should be structured as follows:

* If you are a sole proprietorship (or an LLC taxed as a disregarded entity), then your payments are called "Owner's Draws" and are recorded in an equity account labeled as such. Bottom line, your payments are not a business expense.

* If you are operating a partnership (or an LLC taxed as a partnership), then payments to the partners are called "Partner's Draws" and are recorded in an equity account labeled as such. If you pay yourself a fixed amount each week or each month, then you could alternatively consider your checks to be "Guaranteed Partner Payments" and there is an Other Expense account for such payments.

* If you are operating an S-Corp or C-Corp (or an LLC taxed as a cop), then you need to be paying yourself through a proper payroll system, complete with tax withholdings and employer taxes. You would pay yourself just as if you were an employee.

I hope that helps!

Deb