Guest ladydiana

WordPress- Where to start Learning it

Guest ladydiana

I am very interested in offering Wordpress websites to customers and I would like to get some sort of training in it, so I can begin to learn it well.

I have found a book and PDF copy of learning wordpress with all the continuing updates automatically included in your price. It is reasonable and I prefer a hard copy book for reference, as opposed to reading on a computer screen. It's called "Digging Into Wordpress". Just wondering if any of you have had any experiences' with it, and what are your reviews about starting out learning wordpress with this method? What do you think is the best place to start learning wordpress? Keep in mind that I am on a limited budget and need to spend my money wisely & practically. I prefer to have real live support with some of these teaching programs, but I don't think that is possible, or I haven't found it yet. Love to hear your thoughts.

Lady Diana

No matter how hard they try, if someone has a successful program that promises updates, they are probably busy and the updates will be neglected.

I would suggest that you practice with wordpress.com and use the wordpress.org download in a XAMPP local host to play with it off the internet. Then, when you run into something, ask it here. Also, join the WordPress clubs such as the one Crystal Pina has. I have built websites for people who never knew it on the XAMPP localhost just to practice. And comes the day they do ask me for a website, I'll be ready.

It takes time and focus. I absolutely gave up once. Then, I lost some client time and had to make a move. I went at it more calmly and WP began to work for me. I love it now.

Welcome ot the world of WordPress!

Edited:

Get into forums; google your complete question when you want an answer. Join the WordPress.org forum. Go for it!

Edited by VA-Judy6

No matter how hard they try, if someone has a successful program that promises updates, they are probably busy and the updates will be neglected.

I would suggest that you practice with wordpress.com and use the wordpress.org download in a XAMPP local host to play with it off the internet. Then, when you run into something, ask it here. Also, join the WordPress clubs such as the one Crystal Pina has. I have built websites for people who never knew it on the XAMPP localhost just to practice. And comes the day they do ask me for a website, I'll be ready.

It takes time and focus. I absolutely gave up once. Then, I lost some client time and had to make a move. I went at it more calmly and WP began to work for me. I love it now.

Welcome ot the world of WordPress!

Edited:

Get into forums; google your complete question when you want an answer. Join the WordPress.org forum. Go for it!

Judy, did you install the XAMPP on its own computer?

I download XAMPP and install it on my computer, but it is called 'localhost'. There are others on here who are much more experienced with it than I am. I just know that it is one way to work offline if you want to while you are getting some idea of how to work with WordPress. That could be handy whether you buy a course or just wade in on your own. You can also publish to a subdomain of your own domain or a separate folder and elect to have the wordpress installation private. But, you have to be online to work with it.

I download XAMPP and install it on my computer, but it is called 'localhost'. There are others on here who are much more experienced with it than I am. I just know that it is one way to work offline if you want to while you are getting some idea of how to work with WordPress. That could be handy whether you buy a course or just wade in on your own. You can also publish to a subdomain of your own domain or a separate folder and elect to have the wordpress installation private. But, you have to be online to work with it.

Thanks, Judy. i was looking for something to work offline and this just might work out well for me. Just didn't want to have to buy another computer to do it.

If you search this site for XAMPP you will find several threads where people have helped with more information. I was on the receiving end of a great deal of it. Keep asking questions.

thumbup.gif

Are there any security issues that any of you are aware of with using XAMPP on my main computer? Sorry to be asking so many questions but as Tawnya says, the only bad question is the one that isn't asked.

I don't know of any. It is simply a way to let you set up the mysql database on your computer which is called 'localhost'. There are some excellent tutorials for setting it up online.

http://tamba2.org.uk/wordpress/xampp/

http://pc-level.com/2009/03/how-to-set-up-your-own-server-using-xampp/

These are older 2009 and there may be a newer version of XAMPP.

http://www.techrena.net/howto/wordpress-offline-install-localhost-iis-xampp/ How to install Wordpress on your computer

I don't know of any. It is simply a way to let you set up the mysql database on your computer which is called 'localhost'. There are some excellent tutorials for setting it up online.

http://tamba2.org.uk/wordpress/xampp/

http://pc-level.com/2009/03/how-to-set-up-your-own-server-using-xampp/

These are older 2009 and there may be a newer version of XAMPP.

http://www.techrena.net/howto/wordpress-offline-install-localhost-iis-xampp/ How to install Wordpress on your computer

Thanks again Judy. I'm gonna go for it!!! :thumbup:

It has been awhile since I did it, but that last link looks like a tutorial I would be able to understand. The 'test plot' will be helpful to you if you get a book, buy a course or just jump in and start.

In my opinion,

The key point for WordPress is its having nearly any kinds of extension, this save much time for your project, to learn it, the official resource is definitely enough, you should focus on it,

and you may see a lot of video guides on youtube too.

Jason

In my opinion,

The key point for WordPress is its having nearly any kinds of extension, this save much time for your project, to learn it, the official resource is definitely enough, you should focus on it,

and you may see a lot of video guides on youtube too.

Jason

I have to respectfully disagree with this point - the official resource is written for technically-inclined people and those who are not tech-minded are going to be completely lost after 2 minutes in the codex. This is why there are so many other resources.

To the OP - I recommend Headfirst Wordpress. I love the whole Headfirst series, and they're really good about using real-life type examples to explain concepts. It works through a natural progression and explains why you might want to use a certain technique.