Guest ladydiana

WordPress- Where to start Learning it

So I am now after learning HTML and building my own sites going to get into the wordpress. However I have a question for you all :) I want to know if I want to post on a specific page of a wordpress site and not on the home page, where would I do that? Thanks in advance D :)

So I am now after learning HTML and building my own sites going to get into the wordpress. However I have a question for you all :) I want to know if I want to post on a specific page of a wordpress site and not on the home page, where would I do that? Thanks in advance D :)

If I understand your question, do you want a home page and a page/blog part for your site? If that is question, in settings, you can Settings, Reading on the dashboard and designate one page to be your home page and another to be where you post (rather like the blog).

On each page that is set up, there is an opportunity to decide if you want to let people comment or not. I often uncheck that spot so the comments are steered toward the pages that make comment sense. Sometimes I will leave it on the Contact page and always on the page that becomes the blog.

Thanks Judy, I actually found it after I posted this question, and answered my own question :) . Thanks for the reply its much appreciated :)

If I understand your question, do you want a home page and a page/blog part for your site? If that is question, in settings, you can Settings, Reading on the dashboard and designate one page to be your home page and another to be where you post (rather like the blog).

On each page that is set up, there is an opportunity to decide if you want to let people comment or not. I often uncheck that spot so the comments are steered toward the pages that make comment sense. Sometimes I will leave it on the Contact page and always on the page that becomes the blog.

Are there any security issues that any of you are aware of with using XAMPP on my main computer? Sorry to be asking so many questions but as Tawnya says, the only bad question is the one that isn't asked.

There are absolutely security risks associated with using xampp. Please go to this link and scroll down to read about the issues and how to best address them. If you're only using the mysql and apache portions of xampp, you'd be better off choosing xampp lite.

When I work with xampp, I prefer to disconnect my computer from the internet. If I need to research something, or look something up while I'm working with xampp I do it on a different computer.

I'm moving this thread over to our blogging area. If you look at the pinned topics there you'll also find a bunch of cool resources like recommended tutorials to learn it and plugins we love, etc.

http://www.vanetworking.com/forum/index.php?showforum=85

Are there any security issues that any of you are aware of with using XAMPP on my main computer? Sorry to be asking so many questions but as Tawnya says, the only bad question is the one that isn't asked.

There are absolutely security risks associated with using xampp. Please go to this link and scroll down to read about the issues and how to best address them. If you're only using the mysql and apache portions of xampp, you'd be better off choosing xampp lite.

When I work with xampp, I prefer to disconnect my computer from the internet. If I need to research something, or look something up while I'm working with xampp I do it on a different computer.

Thanks for that tip, Leanne. I did use XAMPP-lite because it was the recommended download. The reason I haven't worked with it for a couple of years is because it was still cumbersome for me, while others may like it for collaboration. I did learn more about the mysql process using it.

I thought working offline would be so cool, but actually, setting up a plan of action or story board (on paper) getting the graphics lined up and publishing to the real site works better for me. With XAMPP, I found some free templates would work, but wouldn't work online, so when i wanted to move things, all that work was a bust. I set up one site that wasn't the same when it went live, which meant I had to do everything over, making the XAMPP work come back to that basic story board situation. It was like using a VeggieMatic to cut french fries quickly and consistently and then learn it took an amazing and unacceptable amount of time to clean the labor saver.

As Amanda says, a good theme resource is a lifesaver. Headfirst is good; I like thesis, but there are others that have themes which work and are adaptable for a unique appearance. The default for wordpress has moved ahead light years and I let some people use it who just want to get going.