Dana Fortier

To Niche, or not to Niche?

I just found this article and thought I would share. There's been a lot of talk about whether or not to niche your services, and this is directed at those that are kind of on the fence, but leaning more toward niching. This paragraph pertains specifically to us (virtual assistants): "We’ve all heard the tip: Hire an assistant. But David Siteman Garland takes that advice a step further.

“Hire virtual assistants who are specific experts,” says Garland, who is host of ABC’s The Rise to the Top and author of Smarter, Faster, Cheaper: Non-Boring, Fluff-Free Strategies for Marketing and Promoting Your Business. “For example, I hired one virtual assistant who is a master of online publishing to help manage my website and another to be my czar of scheduling and handle administration work. Both are affordable, versatile and, more important, independent. It frees you up to focus on the things you are best at and that make you the happiest. Outsource everything else."

That right there is the KEY when talking to potential clients: VAs can free you up to focus on the things you are best at and make you happiest. I've been saying this for a while now. Put this language into your script when talking to clients. Its language that they understand and can appreciate.

And by all means - if you love being a generalist - then THAT'S your niche. Heck, I'm a generalist when you get down to it. I just happen to focus on the legal and CEO/Executive support for my service offerings.

Yes, Masters of Everything are valuable to one's business too...that is why I have Patty. But it is important to niche too and put yourself out there proving your niche by having a blog, tweeting tips, etc.

Great article Dana thanks!

Yes, Masters of Everything are valuable to one's business too...that is why I have Patty. But it is important to niche too and put yourself out there proving your niche by having a blog, tweeting tips, etc.

Great article Dana thanks!

Hehehe...I am definitely a generalist and love it. I learn things all the time. I do everything from a simple word doc to scheduling hair appts to website maintenance to html newsletters for my clients. I work for VAs but their clients range from speakers to Internet marketers to coaches to non-profit orgs. It definitely makes each day different.

and I am too a generalist :) as well and can do just about everything from administrative, HR etc. However as most of you know I am "the trucking virtual assistant" and because of my niche and wanting to be able to separate my niche with my general VA I did it at the beginning of this year. Because it was causing some confusion with my trucking peeps as to what exactly I did, and others who didn't need a trucking va, just a general one. So I separated my websites, and I will tell you I have had even more success and consultations and new clients on both sides because of this. I also created my own logo, it may not be simple but I had fun doing it LOL. so here if you want to see how I have now separated my niche here is my trucking site http://virtualtruckingassistance.com or www.thetruckingva.com and my general administrative which also links to my specialty http://onlinevirtualofficesolutions.com I am very happy how things have turned out with this particular move. :yay:

I am now for having that specialty, finding your niche and being the best you can be at that particular specialty and also for branding and making it memorable.

But a lot of the resources and information I have received that has helped me build my business came from right here. THX!!

I was a generalist for the first 5 years of my life as a VA. Reason being, I had no clue yet what I wanted to specialize in plus at the time, that wasn't such a big issue (specializing that is). I loved the challenge of learning new things everyday and getting to do a variety of work. I think to each their own and as long as you have clients, you must be doing something right ;)

Dana

Great post! I really think that it is important that VAs know what services they want to offer. I am finding that my first year will undergo some changes that I had not anticipated.

When I started my business I wanted to help other business owners grow their business by "helping them create their paperwork". So I focused on business owners with less than 20 employees (although I prefer 5 or less). Although I knew what I was saying, I have since found out that perhaps my target market is not hearing exactly what I meant. I am now finding out that they may be hearing "I will help them create more paperwork" which is NOT what I do.

So now I am in the process of revising my elevator speech to better clarify what I mean so that my target market understands what I am saying. LOL

Great posts! very interesting read. I have been going back and forth about niches. I am a generalist and like all the different skills to learn. Though, I would like to have a niche as well. I am leaning towards the dental field and event planning.

Guest ashields

I'm also just starting out and am a generalist also. I've always been the stereotypical admin "go to gal" and enjoy it. Maybe down the road I'll refine it a bit, but I think it's a good fit for now.