rocnred

Okay, time to get my geek on!

With the advent of so many video streaming services these days, I would like to know if the average person uses them or how far they go with it.

Do you use Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. Do you HD or not? Blu-ray or VHS? Does you TV come with software installed on it already? I would like to know what you got. Boxee Box, Apple TV, Roku, Windows Media?

This what I use.

1. Windows Home server (self built)
  2. PS3 w/Blu-ray player
  3. Gigabit switch (for fast data transfers)
  4. 7 computers (4 pcs, 2 macs, 1 linux)
  5. Netflix account
  6. 47" HD LCD
  7. 5.1 Surround in 2 rooms

The server not only backs up all the computers; but I store movies, music, and photos on it that can be accessed from any computer and from the TV.

I stream music, movies, photos through the PS3 to the TV all in HD and 5.1 surround. The PS3 also has Netflix on it for live streaming.

I am able to access media on the server from any computer to watch movies or listen to music.

Also, the Netflix is able to be seen on any computer in the house, wired or wireless.

Are there others out there like me? Do you think this is the greatest stuff since Saran Wrap?

Not to the same extent as you, but yes. We're holding off on the big-a** TV (and husband says it will be in the 50-60" range because apparently 40s is just too small :rolleyes:) and Blu-Ray until we move, because it's less we need to transport. Right now I have a Linux box that I use for music, a laptop, and a desktop, an XBOX 360 that we used for streaming Netflix (in addition to games, of course), and in the next 6 months we plan on getting another laptop (him), another desktop (me) and a server of some type (me). We stream a lot of Hulu and we cancelled our Netflix about 6 months ago because of the lack of decent choices for streaming movies, but will probably subscribe again soon.

Actually you'd have to discuss that with Randy, my husband. The downstairs TV's his domain. [wireless Netflix, surroundsound, 52" (??) flatscreen with HD, Blueray]. I just DVR the programs that I want to watch and watch them during my lunchbreak or whenever. I can watch TV or the DVR, but determining which remote I need to do the rest, sorry I have other things that I want to do with my time. But I will say when he's watching a movie or NASCAR or football, it's almost impossible to not hear what he's watching in the other part of the house. LOL

Although he has also put a smaller flatscreen (42") in the bedroom that can be moved to watch while either on the chaise or in the bed. So when he goes to bed at 9 or 9:30 pm, we can switch TVs and I can go downstairs if I happened to be watching TV in the bedroom. [Okay, he gets up at 4:30 am to go exercise -swim -run, while I still sleep.] No one told me that said married couples had to watch the same TV shows. LOL

Actually you'd have to discuss that with Randy, my husband. The downstairs TV's his domain. [wireless Netflix, surroundsound, 52" (??) flatscreen with HD, Blueray]. I just DVR the programs that I want to watch and watch them during my lunchbreak or whenever. I can watch TV or the DVR, but determining which remote I need to do the rest, sorry I have other things that I want to do with my time. But I will say when he's watching a movie or NASCAR or football, it's almost impossible to not hear what he's watching in the other part of the house. LOL

Although he has also put a smaller flatscreen (42") in the bedroom that can be moved to watch while either on the chaise or in the bed. So when he goes to bed at 9 or 9:30 pm, we can switch TVs and I can go downstairs if I happened to be watching TV in the bedroom. [Okay, he gets up at 4:30 am to go exercise -swim -run, while I still sleep.] No one told me that said married couples had to watch the same TV shows. LOL

OMG, if I had to watch the same TV shows as my husband, I'd kill myself - he watches sooooo much crap! I rarely watch TV these days - spend too much time at the computer - but he does insist on dragging me out on Wednesday nights to watch Top Chef (that's been "our show" since the first season), and I also like to watch Ghost Hunters and Outsourced, but I usually watch those online or On Demand a few days later.

It's been really wonderful to finally get the concept for which i was looking for. Thank you so much.