Got Online Storage? (may select more than 1)  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I m using drop box and it is secure because whenever you personal data inside you PC or anywhere would lost you need not to worry because drop box is there......

Realistically I don't know how anyone can guarantee their client's work in the clouds. With my clients I inform them of their options but don't put myself into a position where I am responsible for computer/cloud mishaps. Off site storage is a great idea but even that could fail. For me I always have 3 backup systems in place for client files:

1. My computer

2. Backup drive in my office

3. I use 2-3 cloud backup systems for each client dependent upon their needs Amazon S3 FTP, Mozy/Carbonite, Dropbox

Not to mention I send all source files to clients so they can backup as well.

vainsiders.jpg

Realistically I don't know how anyone can guarantee their client's work in the clouds. With my clients I inform them of their options but don't put myself into a position where I am responsible for computer/cloud mishaps. Off site storage is a great idea but even that could fail. For me I always have 3 backup systems in place for client files:

1. My computer

2. Backup drive in my office

3. I use 2-3 cloud backup systems for each client dependent upon their needs Amazon S3 FTP, Mozy/Carbonite, Dropbox

Not to mention I send all source files to clients so they can backup as well.

What do you mean you cannot guarantee work in the "Cloud". That heresy.

What about iCloud? Those Apple guys know everythi....oh wait, never mind.

I know, the Sony Cloud service, They backup all kinds of....oh..crap.

Target has never been hacked, right! Oh...they have, okay.

Chase! They are an awesome banking service that has all kinds of securti....you're kidding, them too.

So you are telling me that the "Cloud" ain't safe? You mean it isn't safe as long as I don't post naked pictures and financial information.

Those are some good practices Tawnya. I love the Amazon S3. I use it for a number of clients.Very secure and they backup the backups. I personally have also started using One Drive with it's 2 step authentication and simplicity across my devices for my personal Cloud Drive. But on the other hand. I never store sensitive or important information in the cloud. The cloud is not safe. Yes, Amazon, Google, and a few others have been free of the hacking issues, but I believe it is just a mater of time.

• Like 1

Yes, just a matter of time before some of the big boys get hacked too or maybe not? ;)

Anything I do have in the cloud is not going to get me arrested or bankrupt me if ever found so all is good. I do make it my clients responsibility to backup in cloud though and take that off my back. I may do it for them remotely but all the cloud stuff is their responsibility just to make sure I'm not liable for loss really.

vainsiders.jpg

Yes, just a matter of time before some of the big boys get hacked too or maybe not? ;)

Anything I do have in the cloud is not going to get me arrested or bankrupt me if ever found so all is good. I do make it my clients responsibility to backup in cloud though and take that off my back. I may do it for them remotely but all the cloud stuff is their responsibility just to make sure I'm not liable for loss really

I have to go on the assumption that everyone is hackable. I do believe that Amazon, Google, and even Microsoft have good security features and invest a lot of money into security. It always surprises me when a big company gets hacked. You wonder where their loyalties lie with their customers that they do not have the best security available. Sony & Apple, of all people. Come on! They must have more money than God.

But I think the real interesting part of this post may have been overlooked. It is not the security of other companies. It is the notion that you have "stuff" that could get you arrested. I would actually pay to see that. :thumbup1:

Edited by rocnred
  • Like 1

Yes, I agree with Kathy C.

There is too much risk in backing up your files, let alone clients' files in the cloud or any similar type of storage.

I am going to be doing two things...first, purchasing encrypting software and then decrypting software...you need both. I then work off of a flashstick (in which the information gets encryped while working) and then when done, I backup to another flashstick (as additional backup)...so each client has 2 flashsticks...in case one gets bad or you can make your backup to a Rewrite CD - about $1.00/piece. In addition to what Cathy C does - external hard drive. Flashsticks and Rewrite CDs are so in expensive, it is worth the investment for your client's safety as well as yours.

Ask your clients how they feel about having their information stored on the cloud. It would be great to get feedback from them. I know that is going to be one of the questions they are going to ask, when first looking to work with a VA.

Great suggestion Kathy C.

Karen D

• Like 1

I backup my clients files in the cloud. We don't really have any classified information that is shared so I don't think it really matters.

• Like 1

Providing exceptional online support services to businesses and entrepreneurs since 2010. Visit my website to learn more.

---

Brand New? Check out the Virtual Assistant Career Program.
Veteran VA? Check out the VAinsiders Club (Job Board, Group Coaching plus extensive training resources)

Getting hacked is not a matter of being frivolous with money spent on security; it is just an unfortunate possibility that we all face. It is not possible to be 100% hackproof regardless of who you are.

A lot of hacking is automated. Once it would take thousands of years to decrypt an algorithm via a script. But processing power has gotten a lot stronger that some crypto-analysts and hackers have only taken as little as 3 months to break a complex algorithm.

In short, as computers become stronger, so will the need for an increase in complexity of a cipher.

• Like 1

Website Design and Digital Marketing Consultations

Feeling tired from trading all your time for money online? Try adding additional sources of leveraged income to your business. Find out how by clicking here.

Well, at least you can give the hackers a challenge. I mean I have seen criminal shows in which the offender said because one house had more security, he bi-passed it and went for a house that was open. It is our responsibility as entrepreneurs to provide our clients with our best. So while working on documents, I will use encryption software which at least helps. Once the flashstick is out of the computer, they can't get the info. and while it is in, it's encrypted. I will not take the responsibility of saving to the cloud. My client will get the files of all the work I did, and if they want to put on cloud, then that is their responsibility. We cannot make it easy for the hackers. I wouldn't pick a VA who didn't at least take more precautions.

Does anybody use encryption software? If so, what one? I am on the research for this, as well as decryption software. Keep me posted.

Karen D

• Like 1

Wow...a lot of great information on here. I am new to the VA world. I have considered how I will store documents for clients but have not decided yet. I have an external hard drive that I considered as I am not sure I am comfortable storing documents in the "cloud." I will most likely begin with the hard drive and go from there.

Thanks for all of the good information.

Kathrine

• Like 1

Karen, yes it is always good to make it difficult for hackers and to keep adapting to their attacks. So long as you are able to present the client with a form of encryption that they will be able to manage from their end; all systems go!

• Like 1

Website Design and Digital Marketing Consultations

Feeling tired from trading all your time for money online? Try adding additional sources of leveraged income to your business. Find out how by clicking here.

when it comes time to give the client their docs, I will unencrypt it. I will only use the encryption for my protection, while working on their docs, etc.

Karen D