Guest oeni

Anybody joined elance??

Guest oeni

The idea is tempting especially for a newbie like me who's still striving to find new clients. But when I saw the bidding, I was turned off. I can't compete with those guys from other countries (esp. India) who bid $3/h - including the elance fee of course sad.gif.

I thought I read somewhere here that charging $25/h is considered to be on the low end. Still I saw some VAs in elance bidding for $10/h projects.

Hi,

I don't know much about E-lance, so I can't comment about that, but yes there ALOT of VA's charging wayyy under $25.00 per hour!! On this board I think the vast majority would say that $25.00 per hour is on the low-moderate scale but out there in Internet land there are many people "calling" themselves VA's and hurting the "real" Va's with thier so-called pricing structures mad.gif !!

Don't fall into this! Our services are well worth the fees, stick to your guns!

kimmer biggrin.gif

The money that you would spend registering for elance and other type services, would be better used marketing your VA practice yourself. Many the job posters on elance do not want a partnership (like we VAs desire). They just want work done quickly and cheaply.

thumbup.gif

The idea is tempting especially for a newbie like me who's still striving to find new clients.

Elance does seem tempting especially if your practice is not full (yet). I think this really comes down to how you define virtual assistance, how you define your business, and how you value yourself.

For me, being a VA is much more than project work; I'm in the relationship business and want clients who also want a long-term, ongoing relationship.

In another post/topic, Terry Green menioned doing destop publishing projects for a printer. In her case, the projects turned into a relationship with the printer. This is what the hope would be if you took on projects. In the case of Elance, I doubt that a VA/client partnership would evolve.

How do you define your business and the value you bring to your clients?

Guest TerryGreen

I don't know if it's just me or not, but I am totally turned off about having to bid for a job. To me, that just isn't the way that I want to do business or get clients.

Terry

For me, I would rather spend my time marketing my business than bidding on projects I may or may not get picked to do. I know of someone who joined elance, and was never selected for a project. It's not that her skills were lacking it's just that she was bidding on projects along with many other people. It's a numbers game and it seems whoever comes in with the lowest bid, wins. I feel it's much more gratifying to work to develop long-term relationships. The road to building a business and gaining the trust of clients might be long and frustrating, but the rewards are worth the effort!

Liz

Personally, I'd rather do one job for a wonderful/relationship based client at $50/hr. than 5 jobs for cheap/negative based clients at $10/hr. I could then spend the 4 hours I would have been working for cheap/negative clients on marketing my business towards higher end clients. But that is just me.

Tawnya

vainsiders.jpg

I feel that most that are charging low are either looking for a little extra cash on the side, never heard of a VA, or are just trying to get their foot in the door.

I will admit my rate is lower then the average in here, but that is mainly for local clients seeing as I know the area and what they are willing to pay. Of course the more business I would get, the higher my rate would go for each next client. At least until I get to the level I feel is right for me to support myself and my overhead.

$3 is a high wage for other countries and it is hard to bid against them. But I am sure there are clients out there that will only accept bids from the US and they realize that a low wage will result in low quality.

I agree with everyone else, that you are better off spending your time in other ways.

Dori Easterson

http://www.dorilynne.com

I agree look for better clients to partner with. It takes time.

Just because someone offers a service for $3 per hour doesn't mean they are good. People who go for the cheapest solution often end up not getting anything becuase the scam artists take their deposit and never deliver. Buyer beware.

If money is tight - get a job. It doesn't mean that you are giving up on your busness. it is just something you need to do temporarily to keep your business afloat.

Therese

I definitely agree with the advice everyone has given. There is no reason to undervalue yourself. The "jobs" on Elance are for those who are not interested in partnership and do not understand the value of a true Virtual Assistance. Put your money into the marketing, into education, into anything else that will make you more viable.

I think Tawnya said it best.

I'd rather do one job for a wonderful/relationship based client at $50/hr. than 5 jobs for cheap/negative based clients at $10/hr.

Guest oeni

Thanks for the advice, ladies thumbup.gif. I always hesitated to subscribe for elance. The benefit cost ratio is almost zero ... well if I will always be outbid wink.gif. I just wonder about elance, because I saw some VA's there bidding for very low rate.

I don't mind doing projects (this is what I mostly do right now), but I would rather have long term relationship with my clients. Hopefully as time progresses I will have more long term clients.

Hey there!

Although you've already had some great feedback on this, I thought I'd put in my 2 cents (for what it's worth).

I did a 3-month paid membership to Guru.com. I will tell you that you spend more time bidding on the potential jobs that match your skills more than you would ever actually getting one. Although you CAN win the bid, I think that there are too many people bidding on those that it kinda just makes you "one of them" even if you aren't and really DO have that "special edge." It's really hard because you don't come one on one with the potential client and your info gets thrown in with everyone elses.

I, too, believe you can spend that money in a better way by marketing your own biz.

Good luck!

Michelle

I've never heard anything all that great about elance or guru. I remember feeling very hungry those first few months, but I always held steady on my prices... I'm worth it...

.... as I shake my head looking at the mess I have from a new client... their "bookkeeper" who they paid like $8/hr made a huge freaking mess... you get what you pay for.

I really wish I would have checked with all of you before joining guru. I too am still in need of clients and purchased a 3 month membership to guru. I figured if I did at least one project for someone it would cover my expense and possibly open the door to future projects. Although I keep bidding I have yet to be awarded a project. I know now that it is not worth it and I am better off looking elsewhere. Although I do not have any clients, (aside from an occasional project from a friend of a friend) I am still hanging in there.