Sign in to follow this  
leisag

Renaming My Web Site

Greetings all.

I am in the process of renaming my main VA web site to be more in line with how my practice has evolved. A couple of months ago, I purchased the new domain name on GoDaddy. I have also had my new logo professionally redesigned as well as a new header. So, with the exception of rewriting my web site and updating my forums and social media, I am getting ready to launch the new site. I also plan on having a favicon designed as I lean more toward branding this time around.

However, I have run into a dilemma. My question is: from a search engine perspective, should I just rename my business by transferring my domain or should I consider pointing my domain. Either way, I know that I will lose my current email addresses. To address that issue, I have forwarded everything to a temporary gmail account. I know I can also recreate new email addresses, which is very easy to do.

I have had my current web site since 2007 and the domain name since 2006. Since I have had my web site for this length of time as well as several good clients, would pointing be a better option? Even though I plan on updating my forums and social media, I know that there will always be those "Murphy's Law" visitors who will not know the new domain name.

I know how to do the "mechanics" for domain transferring, domain pointing, and even domain forwarding. That's not the problem. I have done all of those tasks for clients.

I am looking for advice from some of you who have renamed your current web site. Because it is MY web site, it is harder for me to be objective than if it was the web site of a client.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If it would help that I post the web site domain names, let me know.

Thank you.

Leisa

You will get all sorts of ideas about this. Personally, if I wanted to keep the 'power' of the domain name, I would have the website redesigned with the new information in the properties -- Meta title, description, key words, etc. -- the meta title shows up on the address bar when someone is at your website and the description is picked up by the search engines.

If the new domain name more clearly expresses your name, then you could have the information pointed there because some people will search for your 'brand' instead of your domain name anyway. They are going to recall Leisa's Wonderful VA Service more than xyzleisa.com Some of them, that is. The ones who relate to your domain can put that into the address line and schzam, they still get YOU. Which is where they wanted to be to begin with.

Thanks, JudyAnn. Yes, I probably will get several ideas, because there are several ways to do this. I had not thought about more strategically using the meta title.

Leisa

Edited by Leisa

From a search engine optimization point of view, you should point your old domain at your new one, down to the page level if possible.

Thanks, Leanne. I was hoping that you would chime in there! (BTW: Good to see you!) That's what I was thinking too. From an SEO point of view, pointing is probably a better option. However, I am not sure what you mean "from the page down". Could you explain?

Thanks again.

Leisa

Edited by Leisa

Sure. I mean that instead of globally pointing all pages on your old domain to the new domain's home page, you should point each individual page to its equivalent on the new domain if one exists. Search engines index pages, not web sites, so it's helpful to link an old page to a specific new page if it's possible.

If you're putting up your own .htaccess file on the old domain, you'd put this in it:

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.newdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

You'd have to keep hosting the old domain for this to work. I'd suggest doing so for at least a year -- hosting is so cheap, it's a minor cost for the seo benefit if your old domain pages have any search positioning whatsoever.