Sign in to follow this  
needourservices@gmail.com

Keeping Up With All Your Clients

Well I'm happy to say things are finally picking up applause.gif !

I now have 4 retainer clients almost 6... And finally able to play catch up on past due bills blink.gif

Anyhow, just wanted some imput from the Veteran VA's on how you handle your clients daily.

-Do you deligate a certain amount of hours per day per client?

What's the techniques you use and what works effienciently for you?

Thanks for your imput!

Michelle D.

• Like 1

Hi Michelle:

When I started getting busy, I started realizing that things were going to fall through the cracks very quickly. I was not estimating times well just by looking at my to do list and it was getting out of hand. What I have found that works for me is at the close of the day I look at everything I need to handle for my clients. I then place "client appointments" on my calendar for the amount of time I think it will take to accomplish each of the tasks. This is time that is blocked out for each client that needs work the following day or two. It is amazing how quickly my days get booked.

This also helps because I can, if needed, book out a several days ahead of time. If a client calls or e-mails and needs something done, I can far more easily let them know if it is going to take longer than my regular 24-48 turn around.

I just recently bought a little table to extend my desk to an "L" shape from a corner desk. I got this huge 12 in-tray thing from Office Depot. LOVE it. All of my main clients have an in box and a box for their blank checks so I'm not constantly either sorting through my in box or running to the filing cabinets to get check stock. I do bookkeeping so things aren't really a "rush" unless it check cutting or monthly/quarterly/yearly reporting. I do the same thing for each client pretty much the same time each month. I even put into my PDA (which I sync with Yahoo Calendar - which works great, I can share my calendar with a client if we are trying to make an appointment) what I will be doing. For instance, every Thursday evening I have an arrangement to remotely login to a certain client and input their payroll and accounts payable directly to their computer systems. My PDA starts beeping at 7pm to remind me to do it.

thumbup.gif Thanks Naomi & Candy thumbup.gif

YES, I think I'm right at the spot where things could start falling through the cracks.

So I will definitely start working on both your ideas you ladies have given me. Thank you so much as always your very helpful!

Michelle D.

With my business taking a very sudden turn for the better, I found myself, for a couple of weeks, challenged at keeping up with all the little details and not letting things fall through the cracks. I decided to set up a tickler file and it is working great - don't know how I did without one up until now!

If anyone wants more information about what a tickler file is and how it works, let me know - I can direct you to a great resource that explains it really well.

smile.gif

• Like 1

Hi Lori: smile.gif

Thanks for mentioning this. I forgot to add it to my response to Michelle. I don't use it as heavily now because my Outlook is my major tickler; however, I use both in tandum. Any paperwork or material that I need goes in my tickler and I use the Outlook to give me an electronic notice to remind me to look if something is due and where that material is located.

Before, I use to use only a manual tickler. I just have found Outlook is easier for me. I haven't given up the manual tickler though, I would be lost with out it.

Hi Danielle:

Your system is exactly like mine. I rely heavily on my Outlook tasks because most of my tickler reminders are electronic, send an e-mail, call this person, that type of thing. Otherwise, the paper material that needs to be handled goes in the folder with the Outlook as a reminder to look in that date.

In the legal office I used to work at years ago, this is how we set up our tickler system....

On the front of the file the lawyer would write the date the file needed to be pulled to do some work on it and put it in a pile on his desk to be filed away.

One of us secretaries would on a daily basis file this files back away but first we would write the file name into our blackbook tickler planner/agenda under whichever day it needed to be pulled (the date the lawyer wrote on the front of the file).

Then we filed the files away.

Every morning we would open the blackbook tickler planner/agenda and pull all the files out for the day's date, cross this date off in the book and on the front of the file to show that we pulled it and put them on the lawyer's desk of work to do today.

It worked superbly and no court case dates, etc were ever missed.

Here's a link that explains Michelle...

Tickler File

It really works great - I use it for everything from bills that I have to remember to pay, to newsletters that I don't want to forget to read, but I haven't got time for right now.

smile.gif

Guest MaryR

I believe Tickler Files are also commonly known as Bring Up files or Follow Up Files as well.

Mary R.

With my business taking a very sudden turn for the better, I found myself, for a couple of weeks, challenged at keeping up with all the little details and not letting things fall through the cracks. I decided to set up a tickler file and it is working great - don't know how I did without one up until now!

If anyone wants more information about what a tickler file is and how it works, let me know - I can direct you to a great resource that explains it really well.

smile.gif

Hi Lori, I would love some more information on this. Thank you!