Guest Conrad

Bank Account in Company Name?

Conrad, you're so cute! laugh.gif

As a rule of thumb, it's best to keep your business and personal finances separate. It avoids the IRS question of co-mingling of funds, allows you to have a clearer picture of your business income and expenses, and makes it easier at tax time. Depending on your business structure (LLC, S-Corp., etc.) you may be required to maintain separate accounts. My recommendation is to consult a CPA who works with home-based business owners. He/she should provide all kinds of tips for setting up and maintaining your business practices. Usually they will offer a free consultation.

Along with this I highly recommend tracking your business finances with a good accounting program such as Quicken or QuickBooks.

BTW - would love to see a picture of you all grown up. tongue.gif

Guest Conrad

That's my baby girl smile.gif

Thanks for the reply..... i have far to go to getting my business set up. What is S-Corp? What is the easiest and cheapest?

AND..... where can I find info on taxes for Texas? Too bad you can't do something for someone (Mass mailings for example) and get paid and not have to pay taxes on it!

Guest TerryGreen

Conrad,

I am a sole proprietor. I tried the corporation thing, and it became an expensive pain in the rear, and I wasn't really any better off. I am back to sole proprietorship, which is much easier. I don't know anything about S-Corps.

While I've been known to pay for business expenses out of my personal account in the past, I have a business account, in my business name. Unless absolutely necessary, I now try to make all of my purchases from my business account. As stated in tmacrae's (I don't know her name) post, it's just smarter for accounting purposes.

Terry

Conrad, you're little girl is absolutely adorable tongue.gif

I agree with keeping your business and personal funds separate with different accounts.

I thought the following link might be a helpful resource for you in the start-up of your business.

Small Biz Intro - Dallas

HTH

What an absolute doll Conrad!!! How old is she?

I'm Canadian so I can't help you much with the laws in setting up your business in Texas.

But I strongly suggest that you keep your business and personal funds separate. It keeps things much simpler in the long run.

smile.gif

Guest Conrad

Thank you all!

My little one is 9 months old, but she was 6 months old in that picture. I love that one. Here is a recent one smile.gif

post-22-1105645842.jpg

Edited by Conrad

I'm in Austin. I'm a sole proprietorship. If you are going to operate under a business name, you need to go your county's clerk office and file a DBA. Take that DBA to your bank and open a business account.

If you want to incorporate there are pluses, but really until you are making around $100k or more, it's not worth it in our state, IMHO.

Guest TerryGreen

Unless I'm mistaken, I think Ohio's DBA registration is good for 5 years. Since I am a wholesaler for business cards, stationery, rubber stamps, etc., I have to have a vendor's license and that has to be renewed each year.

Terry