Lori

Looking into becoming a VA

Good afternoon all,

My name is Lori Gray. I live north of Toronto, Ontario. I happened upon this forum while doing some research into the serious possiblity of starting my own VA business. After reading a few of the postings, I decided to join - everyone seems so nice and so helpful!

Part of my research is doing a little survey - I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions? I would love to hear your responses!

1. How long have you been doing VA work?

2. What services do you offer? (Do you have a website that I could visit?)

3. What would you consider the greatest advantage of doing VA work?

4. What is the biggest disadvantage or challenge?

Thanks, from a future colleague, and I look forward to hearing your responses!

Lori

Hello Lori: :)

Welcome to the community. We are definitely a friendly bunch here. If you have not done so, check out AssistU. Their site will give you a great deal of information on the industry. As far as your survey.

1. One year (six months part-time and abour four months full-time).

2. My website is at Top Shelf VA Services, and will give you a small list of services I provide. Basically, I provide everything except bookkeeping and accounting. I have a bookkeeper and accountant that I work with as an adjunct to my business.

3. Greatest advantages are being your own boss, less stress, having your clients look at you as the expert and in most cases respecting your skills.

4. Greatest disadvantage is as in any business, getting the word out, helping people to understand the Virtual Assistant industry, covering all your own expenses, for those of us in the US where we do not have universal health coverage - finding affordable insurance (I am one of the millions without insurance at this point), and finding long term clients.

I hope this helps in your research.

Hi Lori! Welcome to the group. :)

My answers are very similar to the rest.

1. Started spring this year

2. My list of services (although limited compared to other VA's) can be viewed at Executive Support Solutions I will be adding to this list occasionally

3. Right now it's to supplement my income and be my own boss

4. Educating business about the VA industry and like Tawnya said.....the discipline to work at home

You will find some valuable information here.....enjoy! :rolleyes:

Jennifer

Hi Lori!!

I'm Cathy from the Island (Vancouver Island) and I am also doing alot of research into possibly becoming a VA.

I have to admit when I first started my research I really thought it would be a very easy transition from the position of a office manager/bookkeeper I am currently holding to the VA, but after extensive research I feel that I want to upgrade alot of the skills that I haven't had to use in a very long, ie: Act, Access, powepoint seemed to be a couple of areas that I feel that I really need to "brush"up on my weak areas. I am also taking a bookkeeping course to bring my skills up-to-date with current industry standards as it has been about 20 years since I have finished my course.

Is your business already established?

:rolleyes:

Cathy

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for your replies! Being just in the phase of researching my business, it is great to hear from people who have been there!

Kimberley, I live about 1 hour north of Toronto. Are you from around Toronto as well?

Cathy, I haven't got my business up and running yet. I am just preparing the data to get my business plan together. Hope to be up and running before spring of 2004! Best of luck to you in getting your business going, Cathy. It sure requires a lot of digging around, doesn't it?

Hi Lori!

Yah, there is a lot of research involved. The nice thing is, this forum has a lot of great information already posted and a number of great individuals ready to help answer any questions you may have....just ask away! :rolleyes:

Good Luck!

Jennifer