Sign in to follow this  

Bookkeeping Work Location

Hi Everyone,

Question for VAs who provide bookkeeping services: When you are doing bookkeeping for your clients, do you do the work in their office location or in your own off-site office location? Which do you prefer? Which do you think is better for productivity and quality of work?

I am asking because recently I ran into some problems with a client who insisted that I do bookkeeping in their office location using QuickBooks Premier 2006. Unfortunately some problems I had with that arrangement were that:

They didn't have MS office installed on their computer, therefore no Excel and I couldn't generate reports from QuickBooks into Excel;

Their email messages were not being received in my email account on Outlook 2007 if they sent me an email on the days when I was not working there;

Their QuickBooks Premier 2006 is no longer supported by Intuit and therefore there were no solutions to problems if it was necessary to call for QuickBooks support - they didn't want to upgrade;

Their computer they had me using was slow because the hard drive was almost full.

I prefer to work in my own office location but will work in clients' office if the commute time is no more than half an hour; otherwise if I have to do too much commuting is unproductive for both the client and me, and commuting is non billable time for my business. When I work for a client once a month for, say, +/-5 hours at a time, I find I need to re-orient myself to their bookkeeping process if their company is different from other companies.

I look forward to your feedback and comments.

Thanks,

Barb Gilbert

I do not work on-site. Period. My office has everything we need. We use a server set up so everyone can log into the file at once. It's too much hassle to go on site. I do know some that do though so I can always refer them to someone else that prefers working on site (they typically like getting out of the office, etc)