Guest Conrad

Web Site Design

There are many options available for creating a web site. Some VAs create their own using FrontPage or DreamWeaver software; other's (like me) purchased a template from their web host (www.godaddy.com), and others pay to have their site designed by a web site designer.

I used a template as a basis because I'm not a web designer (yet) and needed to get my site up quickly. The template is great but has limitations. I now have FrontPage2003 and am learning how to use it. Eventually I'll replace my template-designed web site with one I design in FrontPage.

You might take a tour of some of the VAs within this forum and contact them to get some feedback and possible referrals.

I guess I have done things a little backwards. huh.gif My first site I used Frontpage and did it myself (with a lot of direction from other VA's and people within this forum) however I am in the thick of redesigning my site with a template and trying to change it around to make it more my own.

What ever route you decide to go, know that there are a number of knowledgable VA's here that can help you.

cool.gif

Guest coxadmin

I use NetObjects Fusion which came with the web hosting package I bought. You can also buy it from Amazon and it costs a lot less than Frontpage and Dreamweaver - ideal if you're on a budget.

I use FrontPage 2003 and as many can attest here, love it! 2003 is a huge improvement over earlier editions. All web development packages such as FrontPage, Dreamweaver, Adobe GoLive, Homesite, etc., are tools. They all have their pros and cons, it is just a matter of determining what you feel most comfortable with. I like FrontPage 2003 because it is powerful, I can do almost anything I want with it, and it is easy to use (once you understand the basic concepts of good web design).

Guest TerryGreen

I originally had someone else do my website in FrontPage for me. I picked the template, wrote all of the copy and set everything up in a Word document exactly the way I wanted it to be layed out. I've since learned FrontPage, and do all of my updating and maintenance myself.

FrontPage is so easy that I learned how to do it in one two-hour session. I don't know that I'll ever get to the point that I'll do someone else's site for them, but it's my software of choice for doing my own.

Terry

Guest MaryR

I use a combination of FrontPage and Notepad. I was assigned to write up websites internally for a large telecommunication company for their engineering department back when websites were first coming out and before alot of these programs were developed well enough to be useful. All I had to work with back then was notepad so I had to learn all the HTML coding because everything was handcoded at the time. FrontPage makes things easier to work with but I still do alot of handcoding to get things just the way I want them and to eliminiate alot of extraneous unnecessary coding some programs add in.

If you don't know specific HTML coding I highly suggest starting out with FrontPage.

Mary