Sign in to follow this  
needourservices@gmail.com

Bulk Mailers

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Hello Everyone:

For those of you that do bulk mailing, how much would you charge for the following job:

2000 Mailings a month for at least 9 months;

2 sheets in one mailing (4000 flyers total)

labels and envelopes provided by me

Mailings weekly; 650-650-700, first 3 weeks of the month.

I haven't gotten a mailing permit yet, but if I take this job I will be getting one. Currently this client is paying 1200-1600 in just stamps a month, I know I could cut down that cost alot.

Thanks for your answers!

Michelle D.

Wow, this sounds like a great job Michelle!

Before you quote a price for the job, you would have to cost it. Break it down completely to determine what the actual cost would be for you (not including your time)...

Are you doing the flyers or are they being provided? If you are doing them, I would quote an initial cost for layout and design based on your time. Then calculate the materials cost per page (paper, ink, wear-and-tear on your printer, etc). Multiply this by the 4000 pages for the project.

Calculate the labels the same way (including labels, ink, printer wear-and-tear).

Figure out how much your envelopes would cost each and multiply by 2000.

Next, add about 10% to each of the above total costs. This covers waste materials - with such a large mailing, there will be some and you need to cover that.

Calculate the cost of postage per letter x 2000. Again factor in waste, especially if you will be using a mailing machine, but I would calculate it at a lower rate than above - maybe calculate it at 5%.

Now, to calculate the labour. How much time would it take you to stuff 2000 envelopes? To get a good estimate, do a trial run. Take some scrap paper and pretend that you are actually doing the project for about 25 mailers. Time yourself preparing everything, (estimate printing time), (estimate time to apply the labels), stuff the envelopes, and (estimate applying the postage), bundle everything up as if it is ready to go into the mail. Time yourself going through the process for the 25 units. Multiply this by 80 to determine the actual labour time for the 2000 units. Then add between 25-30% to the total for lee-way time.

Add all your totals together and you arrive at your quote. If your end total seems a little high or a little low, you can adjust it. By this point you know what the cost of doing the job is, so you can play with the figures a bit to make it more acceptable to yourself and to your client.

It may seem like a long process, but it is really the only way that you can accurately determine your quote and make sure that you are covering your time and costs.

The bonus of doing this is that you will have a very good idea of the cost per unit for such a mailing. Next time you have to quote on a mailing project, you won't have to go through the process in as much detail as you will already know approximately how much to quote.

Hope this helps!

smile.gif

Guest TerryGreen

Yup . . . I've got to agree with Lori!

Terry

Figuring out the costs is so important! I have been caught twice in the last six months because I didn't do a complete cost analysis.

Nancy

Guest clark_christa

Excellent help, Lori smile.gif

I haven't done anything like that before, but you never know what the future brings! I'll now be prepared if it does. Your step-by-step points are really appreciated!!!!

Christa

Michelle

Did you ever take that project on after all? If so, what was your quote? How much did you end up charging?