Jodie Burdette

Static home page using Studio Press Metric Theme

Jodie, do you have access to the Studio Press forum? They are pretty good about answering questions and sometimes have the answer already.

I have the pro-pack membership, but not very much experience with any of the themes yet.

That is my goal for the next few months but not yet. I was coming in on a partially completed project and it seems the original VA had purchased the theme(s) but did not share access info to support with the client. I found another theme with a similar layout and am working from that one instead.

Jodie "Cuckoo for cocoa puffs" Burdette

I apologize for not seeing this, Jodie. I am being truly virtual this week and just keeping up with the necessities for clients at hotspots!

One tip I found that will work for many things Make a copy of the template file you want to modify and put it in the child theme directory to make changes to.

Child themes look in their directory for the needed file first, & if not found, will then go to the Parent.

Doing it this way prevents you from losing your customizations when Genesis is updated.

I haven't worked with Metric or many of the themes. There is a different learning curve than for Thesis, which surprised the heck out of me! Anyway, I asked your question. When I get an answer, I will pass it on. Doesn't settings let you do this changing, then change the links and page names?

I ended up using a different theme for this site. I love Studio Press themes and have used them off and on for years. However their Genesis child themes are sometimes tricky. If you do hear anything that would be great!

Jodie "My mind is saying "GO! GO! GO!" but my body is saying screw you it's not going to happen." Burdette

This thing might be done with the WordPress side more than the theme. The answer from a moderator was: You can set a static front page in the Reading settings panel.

In the forums and tutorials, they keep stressing to have the 'basic' Genesis installed along with the child theme because of updates and continuity. That should, I suspect, let you change 'child themes' without messing up the layout. Again, I have to get some time to get this stuff out and play with it.