Sign in to follow this  
Judy L

Hard Disk Maintenance

Using Windows 7 on Acer laptop with CA for security.

Windows 7 automatically defrags once a week. The computer says something about backup, but if I have to do it, I don't know what that means. When I do a back-up, I drag the whole thing over to a hard drive so I can find stuff later. I did this for the scrubbing and updating for Windows 7 from Vista. I like being able to go into the external drive and find files to use on other computers, etc. The guy who did the work was able to put many of the earlier things right back onto the computer from the external drive.

So, would something like Serif Paragon Hard disk management simply be a lot of redundancy for me? I don't want to have these things going on in duplicate on my computer.

At one time I had a program that came with another external hard drive that would do a 'rescue' back-up. It worked, but I couldn't ever figure out where things were in their back-up files. All the drives are Maxtor

Thank you for your thoughts.

If you drag the files you want to back up on to an external drive, then there is no need to buy the Serif Paragon Hard disk management.

The only reason Windows 7 is bugging you is because it does not know you are using that process. It has a built in backup process, if you wish to use it. There are many ways to make a backup. As long as you are copying the files you want onto another drive, you should be fine.

Side note: the process you describe is not a backup though. It is only a copy. If you would do the same thing and put it somewhere else, then THAT is a backup. 1 time is a COPY. 2 times is a backup.

If you drag the files you want to back up on to an external drive, then there is no need to buy the Serif Paragon Hard disk management.

The only reason Windows 7 is bugging you is because it does not know you are using that process. It has a built in backup process, if you wish to use it. There are many ways to make a backup. As long as you are copying the files you want onto another drive, you should be fine.

Side note: the process you describe is not a backup though. It is only a copy. If you would do the same thing and put it somewhere else, then THAT is a backup. 1 time is a COPY. 2 times is a backup.

THANK YOU -- for everything. :thumbup:

Love that you share your geekiness with us and thanks ;)

vainsiders.jpg

Cool love the idea. I might as well try doing that also. Thanks for sharing. :yay: